• Create Account

We're offering banner ads on our site from just $5!

1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Don't forget to read Tuesday's email newsletter for your chance to win a free copy of Construct 2!

Using GLUT

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
5 replies to this topic

#1 Ubermeowmix   Members   -  Reputation: 326

0Likes

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:21 PM

Hey everyone, just forced myself to use Linux Mint and I want to start coding, but having trouble starting up GLUT. Not really worked with Linux much, but i've grasped the concept that I need to load it through the console.

Everyone is telling me to link the libraries to the usr/includes folder but even though freeGlut is installed I can't find them. Any help would be appreciated.

P.S. I'm trying to use OpenGL and C++.

If you get near a point, make it!

Sponsor:

#2 KulSeran   Members   -  Reputation: 2565

0Likes

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:30 PM

I assume you're coming from windows?  One nice thing to note about the linux environment is that there's often a lot stricter use of the defined folder structure. If you've used apt-get or another package manager to install GLUT, then gcc will automatically know where the libs are, and the includes (should be #include <GL/glut.h>). You just need to add the -lglut to your compile to link it (g++ foo.cpp -lglut)

#3 Karsten_   Members   -  Reputation: 1645

0Likes

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:48 PM

Also make sure that the glut "developer stuff" is installed (static libs/headers).

(I use Red Hat so I am not sure of the exact command)

try...

'apt-get install glut-dev'

...or...

'apt-get install freeglut-dev'

Basically, most Linux packagers split software into runtime, development and documentation packages so you just needed the dev packages.

Edited by Karsten_, 20 January 2013 - 02:50 PM.

Mutiny - Open-source C++ Unity re-implementation.
Defile of Eden 2 - FreeBSD and OpenBSD binaries of our latest game.

#4 Ubermeowmix   Members   -  Reputation: 326

0Likes

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:00 PM

Cheers guys, really appreciate the help.

#5 Ubermeowmix   Members   -  Reputation: 326

0Likes

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:07 PM

Also make sure that the glut "developer stuff" is installed (static libs/headers).

freeglut dev wasnt installed, that was the problem. Didn't realise I needed both!

#6 TheChubu   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4573

0Likes

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:31 PM

That's what the dev libraries are for. If you need it for coding something, download the dev one too.

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS