• Create Account

Common Game Concepts and Implementations - Book/Web (C++/DirectX)

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
No replies to this topic

#1 Nexian   Members   -  Reputation: 118

0Likes

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:58 PM

Hello all!

I constantly think up new questions while I am pondering over game mechanics or common game concepts and I was wondering if there is a place where these things are discussed in full detail.

Things like:

• Game Server/Client code: Do you make your own? Is there a common library often used by developers that incorporates functionality for encryption and efficient packaging? Does a single player game just use a local server or is there a totally different structure? Is there a general standard? Do's and Don't's? Standards for SQL based server side storage of permanent and real-time data? Best practices for preventing hacking via packets? etc.
  • Loading your game: How to load your game successfully over as many PC variations as possible? Fullscreen and Resolution structure and initialisation? Texture storage? Saving settings (config file?)? Error reporting? etc.
  • General flow of development. This one I think is the hardest for me. I get tangled in knots. I want to make the texture storage, but then I need to make the checks for resolution better when initialising. But I really want to just start making the game. Can I do that before fully implementing a client/server structure? How about sorting rendering in view? What if something changes mid development and I have to change a ton of older stuff? Maybe I should do the chat log first with a text write out for debugging later? etc. I just end up worrying over what to do and end up doing nothing :P

I am not after perfect solutions to my issues here. But I generally feel like I need a real guide to these things. Something that says "When making a game, this process is done by..." rather than examples. Most server/client structures I have seen, for example, generally conclude with the sentence "Of course, this is only a basic model and would by woefully inadequate for a real system". I.e. good for showing the concept, not good for practical application. In the case of the server/client I don't want the code written for me, but I want to know what else is needed.

Short version. I have been dealing with vague for a while. I could really do with some helpful web or book references that focus on specifics. Ideally using C++ and DirectX. But I don't really mind about the language so long as the concept is there.

Sponsor:

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS