• Create Account

Game engine

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 Kk1496   Members   -  Reputation: 187

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:33 PM

Hi

I just started learning c++ and am planning to work my way up to making my own game engine. I was wondering if c++ is the only language i will need. I was planning to learn lua later too. I have been hearing a lot about SFML is that simething i will need.

Thankyou

Sponsor:

#2 frob   Moderators   -  Reputation: 21331

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:35 PM

You can make games in just about any language. C++ has a sharp learning curve, but many games are written in it. Java, C#, Python, and other languages have proven to be viable for making games.

You will likely end up using multiple languages, but that is more a function of convenience than necessity. Some tasks that may take tens of lines or hundreds of lines in one language can sometimes be done with a few simple commands in a different language. Learn things like shell scripts, python, and perl, and in the process you will discover just how cumbersome languages like C++ really are. Efficient, yes, but cumbersome.

Skilled programmers will end up learning many languages over their career.
Check out my personal indie blog at bryanwagstaff.com.

#3 Kk1496   Members   -  Reputation: 187

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:51 AM

Thankyou for the advice. I will look into learning other languages.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS