• Create Account

A simple question on mathematics

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
7 replies to this topic

#1 yasmin_bd   Members   -  Reputation: 121

0Likes

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:19 PM

I have one simple question. Figure 1 shows that if the line AB is extended, it somewhere intersects the rectangle at C. My question is how to find the intersection point C. I know the coordinates of A and B.

Attached Thumbnails

• interpolation.jpg

Sponsor:

#2 Álvaro   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 13914

2Likes

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:43 PM

See if this recent thread helps you.

#3 haegarr   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4589

0Likes

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:45 PM

Ray with t as independent variable: R(t) := A + t * ( B - A )

An edge (exemplarily one of the four building the rectangle) with k1 as independent variable: E1(k1) := [-1,-1] + k1 * [1,0]

Then R(t) = E1(k) gives the point of intersection. These are 2 linear equations with 2 independents what can be solved symbolically. The result cannot be computed (or, to be precise, gives infinity of negative infinity) if R(t) is parallel or anti-parallel to E1(k1). Otherwise a specific pair (t',k1') can be computed. To be valid, k1' must be in the interval [0,+1], and t' must be greater than 0. If so, then R(t') and E1(k1) is the solution. Otherwise another edge has to be investigated.

#4 yasmin_bd   Members   -  Reputation: 121

0Likes

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:07 PM

I have one question. In equation R(t) = A + t*(B - A),  here t is 0 to 1 in between A and B. But this is something like extrapolation for C. Wil this work for extrapolation? Please clarify a bit.

#5 Paradigm Shifter   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 5436

0Likes

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:10 PM

Of course it will work, it's a straight line that goes off to infinity, in both directions ;)
"Most people think, great God will come from the sky, take away everything, and make everybody feel high" - Bob Marley

#6 yasmin_bd   Members   -  Reputation: 121

0Likes

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:27 PM

Ok, then will the value of 't' be greater than 1 in this case?

#7 Paradigm Shifter   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 5436

0Likes

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:30 PM

Yeah, if the point is further along the line from A to B (beyond B), it will be greater than 1.
"Most people think, great God will come from the sky, take away everything, and make everybody feel high" - Bob Marley

#8 Aphton   Members   -  Reputation: 277

0Likes

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:19 AM

Damn formatting =/

Edited by Aphton, 23 January 2013 - 11:32 AM.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS