• Create Account

Resources for post Console Based C++

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
7 replies to this topic

#1 Confirm4Crit   Members   -  Reputation: 310

0Likes

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:39 PM

I took a Intro to C++ class at my community college last term.
I personally really enjoy C++, I can't quite place why, but I feel the most comfortable.

Before the class, I went though Head Start C#, some beginning console based Python, and XNA tuts. Small things, kept myself busy.
I want to realign my self a little bit. I'm going to a university (either FAU or UF) next fall, and while both schools only require my intro class for transferring, I wanna be ahead of the curve.
The issue? I can't find a solid "Intermediate C++" site or book. I've found a bunch of console based ones, but they don't go past basic arrays. Anything I find ahead of that is TOO far ahead, and I simply don't under stand.
I've made a bunch of C# Windows Form stuff, I get the idea of classes and what not on a simple level, but I haven't encountered that at all in C++.

Syntax wise, I'm not sure at all how to go about it, so any suggestions would be great! Even old text books they remember using in school, I have no problem throwing some clams if it's a usefull resource.

Edited by Confirm4Crit, 22 January 2013 - 11:39 PM.

Twitter

Learning to code in general, Junior at FAU

Sponsor:

#2 jbadams   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 19362

4Likes

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:47 AM

I recently shared my normal suggestions on progressing past C++ basics in a blog post titled "What next?  Intermediate to advanced C++".

There are some links and suggested books in there, but I think the best advice I can give is that you just need experience.  Pick some project to work on, and don't worry about the fact that you're probably doing things "wrong" or sub-optimally for now -- it's inevitable that you'll make mistakes, and these are the absolute best opportunity for you to gain real world experiences that will help to improve your programming.  If you don't have any ideas for things to practice you could try some Project Euler problems or Code Kata exercises.

You might also have a read through a post by one of our moderators, ApochPiQ: "Become a Good Programmer in Six Really Hard Steps".

It really does all come down to practical experience.  Push yourself to try new things, and look up tutorials and reference materials or ask questions about specific areas that trouble you, and don't worry about trying to do everything "properly" right away.  Rather than worrying about the right syntax, just try anything that you think should probably work, and then get feedback and continue reading to improve.

Hope that helps! smile.png

#3 Confirm4Crit   Members   -  Reputation: 310

0Likes

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:28 AM

I forgot about Project Euler, we were doin' a tiny bit of it for extra credit. I'll dive into that. There's also a second class that covers "classes, polymorphism, inheritance, streams, templates, exception handling dynamic memory allocation, and memory management.", and I still have the book, too, so that's nice. biggrin.png

Thanks for reminding me xD

Twitter

#4 sednihp   Members   -  Reputation: 241

0Likes

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:17 PM

Learncpp.com was a great site for me, goes from the basics to the advanced with good examples and explanations.

Although as jbadams says, the best way is to learn by doing. Try making a console game, then look at sdl or sfml and make a pong clone. You'll make mistakes, you'll break stuff but if you stick at it you'll learn a hell of a lot and have a lot of fun (I certainly did)

#5 Matt-D   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1469

1Likes

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:47 PM

I recently shared my normal suggestions on progressing past C++ basics in a blog post titled "What next?  Intermediate to advanced C++".

jbadams: (but I think it may also be of interest to OP): perhaps consider adding the books/materials mentioned in here: http://isocpp.org/get-started

In particular, IMHO "The C++ Standard Library: A Tutorial and Reference" (2nd Edition) by Nicolai M. Josuttis might be a better reference than "Thinking..." (which is getting a bit old).

#6 Khatharr   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3039

0Likes

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:43 AM

Thinking is definitely out of style.

(Sorry, couldn't help myself.)

void hurrrrrrrr() {__asm sub [ebp+4],5;}

There are ten kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

#7 Matt-D   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1469

0Likes

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:40 AM

Thinking as a C++ reference might be a high-latency operation.

// Sorry, I didn't start it ;]

#8 Confirm4Crit   Members   -  Reputation: 310

0Likes

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:22 PM

PUNS, PUNS EVERYWHERE :D

I added that book to my wish list, thanks :D

Twitter

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS