• Create Account

Location-based Action-RPG [Mobile]

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 Rudy Crimson   Members   -  Reputation: 105

0Likes

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:20 AM

Hi there,

I've been reading the forum for a bit more than a year and I find the discussions quite useful and informative, but I've yet to encounter a thread that really poses and/or attempts to answer my own paradigms in game development.

I have a strong background in C++, C# and Java most of my undergraduate education focused on C++ for computational physics. At the moment, I'm an independent programmer working on Objective-C applications for iOs. I've taken courses on functional programming using Scala; taught myself Ruby, Python, Perl, PHP; and, at the moment, I've taken upon myself to learn more about Clojure and the lisp dialects that I touched upon vaguely during my college years (4 years ago). All these skills have proven trivial when it comes to accomplishing my primary goal of making my very own game. 

I am envisioning a location-based 3D Action RPG with feasible properties that allow users to interact with other players in the vicinity (square-mile radii). The game itself will not depend solely on the players involved as there will be automated (AI) challengers which will comprise 57-68% of the population. In essence, players will have the ability to group together in teams, co-exist, and compete with one another; but, in reality, the majority of the game will have automated characters that will help us reduce the cost of production and/or inflicting too much burden on the servers [both of these are not mutually exclusive]. We are, of course, willing to attract investors and garner profits in order to grow as needed.

I've looked into Unity 3D and it seems reasonable for my goals: I have a clear idea of the themes and plot, but I have time constraints. I could study building a game engine, but I just cannot wait to get my idea out to the world. I'm looking to fail quickly, if that, and move along to something else; then again, I could rather fail miserably at making a worthwhile game engine, but Im more of a visual thinker, and therefore I rather spend my time designing a 3D game which is beautiful.

My question to you is, can Unity 3D support location-based programming in that fashion? Or, will I encounter too many limitations that building a game engine from scratch would seem most efficient? 

Edited by Rudy Crimson, 23 January 2013 - 08:22 AM.

Sponsor:

#2 Rudy Crimson   Members   -  Reputation: 105

1Likes

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:59 AM

To add a bit to this beauty pageant of sorts: I'm most definitely set on using the Transvoxel algorithm as the game is set in England. It's of utmost importance to convey the topography of the country with its hills, valleys, etc. Which puts me in a corner, of sorts. I hear the C4 engine bodes well for all intents and purposes; the question remains, would it support the dynamics of location based programming and multiplayer network physics that I envision?

Unity 3D comes with a price-tag, but If the benefits outweigh the costs, it's def. worth it; unfortunately, C4 is not particularly fitted for mobile development, or perhaps i've misread the guidelines. 

Edited by Rudy Crimson, 23 January 2013 - 09:58 AM.

#3 Dan Mayor   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1712

2Likes

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:22 PM

It seems to be that you are over complicating your end goal or at least over explaining it.  From what I gather your simply asking can one character be "aware" of any / all other characters within x mile radius of themselves.  Yes, large trigger area attached to characters, although on a large scale you might expect some performance dropping.  Watch the video tutorial linked below especially paying attention starting around 2:15 that will give you an idea of the theory behind this.

http://video.unity3d.com/video/2294046/introductory-011-colliders

Unity 4's Free license will suffice for the collider features that you would need, I have not yet looked much into the networking myself so I can't comment if the free license would suffice there as well.

I do completely understand the rush to get something done but I would also HIGHLY suggest you scale back and create something a little more obtainable for your first few game builds.  Building games is difficult even with great tools and abundant programming knowledge.  It's not likely that you will create something amazing right out of the gate.  Focus more on smaller game demo ideas, maybe even small snippits of the overall idea and watch your confidence and experience raise, start with something large (especially considering your in a hurry) smells more like a recipe for disaster.  If you'll be upset not finishing this project, don't have experience with the tool set you are starting in and have not completed game projects in the past you might just be in for quite a let down.  I think we've all been there, we see an engine or tool set that has great power we start playing with it and things happen we jump into our live long goal and barely make it past the title screen before we start realizing it's a lot more intricate than we had expected.  A way to avoid this path is to step back and make a little one on one fight game.  Make a little town with 2 NPC's, 1 Character and have it a quest to talk to one then go to the other to win.  Sounds stupid but it's easy and you'll be learning valuable skills that you can later apply to something fun.

Digivance Game Studios Founder:

Dan Mayor - Dan@Digivance.com
 www.Digivance.com

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS