I'd like to ask if you know some free, good, basic, raw text editor(no ide, I already have one for coding and dont want to switch), as there are thousands to try and often they have features to help you which silently change something in a file. I just need it sometimes to edit some config or data file, so it doesnt need any fancy features. Thank you.
- If I load any file into it and save it, it should be byte for byte identical to the original, if I change 1 thing it should not change anything else, even if there are misplaced spaces, tabs, "wrong" lineendings, fancy characters, illegal character encodings or whatever else inside the file.
- It should detect which line endings are used(+show which type and if its mixed up) and if I add some more it should use the same as already there.
- It shows something for anything inside the file(no hiding of unknown characters).
- There should be no problems to make git call it, so I never again have to see the most obscure editor ever(vim).
nice to haves:
- It lets me choose to convert all line endings to a choosen type.
- It can detect and show different character encodings (latin1,all unicode encodings, windows encoding) and lets me choose to let it interpret it as any other and maybe convert to any other.