• Create Account

Demorize Digital Signage

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
No replies to this topic

#1 Kjell Andersson   Members   -  Reputation: 372

0Likes

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:51 PM

I worked a bit on my blooming filter yesterday and wanted to share my results.

I read a thread somewhere on the net about one guy that wanted anisotropic blooming. I had not heard about it before so I got interested, just out of curiosity. The basic concept was as simple as having different amount of blooming in X and Y axis. The programmer I am, I could not leave it at that though. I had to try it myself on my own blooming filter just to see if it could improve in some use cases.

My basic blooming filter I had was quite simple and just down-sampled the image to 1/4, blurred it and added a portion of it back to the original image. The first step I improved was that I wanted bigger blurs and different scaling on the different axis. To get the bigger blurs to look nice I had to drop the down-sampling and went for a fullscreen blur instead. I went for three horizontal and three vertical blur steps with different sample distances using a kernel size of 13 just to get a really big blur. It’s maybe bit overkill but now I can have pixels affect the entire span of the image to give BIG anisotropic
effects.

Finally having my anisotropic blooming I wasn’t satisfied. There were too much blooming going on. I had to introduce a threshold on the blurring phase to get a high pass filter of only the bright parts of the image. I also added tinting to the blooming which I noticed gave quite a nice effect. You can then have blue or purple glow behind your white bright spots.

In this IOTD I show you three images. The top is the original without any blooming. The middle is using non-anisotropic blooming with equal horizontal and vertical blurs but with purple tinting. The bottom uses anisotropic with a factor three between vertical and horizontal. Both blooms use a threshold to only bloom bright parts.

I'm quite happy the way it turned out. Maybe I will remove one of the blur phases to lower GPU consumption but overall it looks promising.

Link to the project:
http://www.dualheights.se/demorize

Click here to view the iotd

Sponsor:

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS