• Create Account

Why not change the logo of this powerful forum?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
39 replies to this topic

#21 Ashaman73   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 7992

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:24 AM

We literally spent 4 years and over $50,000 developing the interactivity behind that logo.

Fuck.. editor ate the rest of my post

You should have spend some of the logo-budget on the editor smile.png

Sponsor:

#22 Stormynature   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3417

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:33 AM

You should have spend some of the logo-budget on the editor

They actually didn't need to - if you activate the logo you can access  mega-editor which fixes all issues including ideas generated by the "Idea guy". Instructions on how to activate it can be found here.

Edited by Stormynature, 28 January 2013 - 09:06 AM.

#23 TheChubu   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4766

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:33 PM

Logo is fine.

My two million dollars.

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

#24 Cornstalks   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6991

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:40 PM

I made this back when we had the spammers advertising football*:

gd_football.png

I probably should've made it a hockey puck... I think that would've been more popular.

*which, funny enough, some googlers bought GDNet+ because they thought it would get them the football TV subscriptions being advertised

[ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

#25 MrDaaark   Members   -  Reputation: 3555

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:51 PM

The logo itself was good, but I think the current graphic of it at the top reeks of programmer art.

#26 Alpha_ProgDes   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4692

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:48 PM

I made this back when we had the spammers advertising football*:

attachicon.gifgd_football.png

I probably should've made it a hockey puck... I think that would've been more popular.

*which, funny enough, some googlers bought GDNet+ because they thought it would get them the football TV subscriptions being advertised

Michael should definitely have that logo up during Super Bowl weekend.

And I still think we should have a logo contest for the fun of it.

Beginner in Game Development? Read here.

Super Mario Bros clone tutorial written in XNA 4.0 [MonoGame, ANX, and MonoXNA] by Scott Haley

If you have found any of the posts helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking the up arrow on those posts Posted Image

Spoiler

#27 Prinz Eugn   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3681

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:35 PM

Aw yeah, logo time...

GDnetLogo.png

Edited by Prinz Eugn, 28 January 2013 - 09:36 PM.

-Mark the Artist

Digital Art and Technical Design
Developer Journal

#28 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 21055

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:05 PM

gdlogo.png

GaméDex logo

...back when we had the spammers advertising football*:

I remember that incident. One of the staff members even had someone look up their phone number and called their personal phone complaining that they couldn't watch the football game. laugh.png

Edited by Servant of the Lord, 28 January 2013 - 10:27 PM.

It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.
All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.
Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal

[Fly with me on Twitter] [Google+] [My broken website]

[Need web hosting? I personally like A Small Orange]

#29 Prinz Eugn   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3681

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:04 PM

GaméDex logo

Gotta code 'em all...

-Mark the Artist

Digital Art and Technical Design
Developer Journal

#30 JTippetts   Moderators   -  Reputation: 8652

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:59 PM

gdlogo.png

GaméDex logo

...back when we had the spammers advertising football*:

I remember that incident. One of the staff members even had someone look up their phone number and called their personal phone complaining that they couldn't watch the football game. laugh.png

That was classic. Oh, the lols were abundant those days. :D

#31 slicer4ever   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3983

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:25 AM

gdlogo.png

GaméDex logo

Did you do that yourself?, that looks AMAZING!

Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

#32 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 21055

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:23 PM

gdlogo.png

GaméDex logo

Did you do that yourself?, that looks AMAZING!

I stole a Pokeball from Google Images (which I recolored and scaled down), and rotated the GameDev.net logo's "G" over it. Neither the Pokeball nor the GameDev logo was made by me. So I guess it's a 'mashup'. [see]

It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.
All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.
Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal

[Fly with me on Twitter] [Google+] [My broken website]

[Need web hosting? I personally like A Small Orange]

#33 Michael Tanczos   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5451

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:49 PM

The logo itself was good, but I think the current graphic of it at the top reeks of programmer art.

Damn, and we actually paid someone to do it for us in vector format in a bunch of variations.   Come to think of it, I'm wondering why it is so blurry.. hrmm

#34 superwave   Members   -  Reputation: 200

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:16 AM

I think the shape of "G" is a problem... Its contour is not evenly distributed which violates the esthetic rule.

#35 Cornstalks   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6991

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:34 AM

I don't think it reeks of programmer art. I think a calligraphic "G" is perhaps a bit "out of place" (calligraphy + technology + game development... which one is the odd one out?), but I don't think it's terribly out of place, and it's become an iconic symbol of this site. Besides, it's made finding the g-spot easy... (I just had to link to that xkcd)

Unless people can point out very specific things that aren't great or other (specific) ways to improve it, I think it's kind of a moot point to be making, in my opinion. And I can't make any specific critiques myself.

Edited by Cornstalks, 30 January 2013 - 11:37 AM.

[ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

#36 MrDaaark   Members   -  Reputation: 3555

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:41 AM

Damn, and we actually paid someone to do it for us in vector format in a bunch of variations.   Come to think of it, I'm wondering why it is so blurry.. hrmm

It looks like they took the G and put it on top one of those standard photoshop template shiny button presets. https://www.google.com/search?q=shiny+button The one before that was the same, but with the bevel tool applied. The tilted 3D one, minus the reflection, looked great, and like more than 5 minutes of effort went into it.

edit: Why not... http://p3d.in/qWH61/wireonsmooth+spin

Edited by Daaark, 30 January 2013 - 12:20 PM.

#37 Michael Tanczos   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5451

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:27 PM

I liked this one the most out of the ones we had.. though I didn't use a bevel tool to make it.   I created a heightmap and shaded it in a few areas and used photoshops lighting effect.   Then layered it with some internal reflective layers.    The G was actually formed by the negative space caused from two solid pieces that never actually touched.

http://archive.gamedev.net/www.gamedev.net/pics/themes/gdwhite_header/hdrmain-new4.png

At this point I'd love to see ideas that think entirely outside of the box and not make it a G at all.

mascot_gdnet.png

Edited by Michael Tanczos, 30 January 2013 - 12:37 PM.

#38 Alpha_ProgDes   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4692

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:45 PM

At this point I'd love to see ideas that think entirely outside of the box and not make it a G at all.

Maybe we should make a thread for a contest!

Beginner in Game Development? Read here.

Super Mario Bros clone tutorial written in XNA 4.0 [MonoGame, ANX, and MonoXNA] by Scott Haley

If you have found any of the posts helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking the up arrow on those posts Posted Image

Spoiler

#39 Tebriel   Members   -  Reputation: 541

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:51 PM

Considering the G been the site's logo since it started - http://public.gamedev.net/images/about/gdnetv1big.jpg - changing is kind of like asking McDonalds to change their iconic golden arches.

Also, I don't see how a logo can "declined[sic] the feeling of gamedev to a lower status" at all.

Oh man, I've been visiting here since ????, and not once did I EVER notice that big "G".  It looks like it was ray-traced with fancy (at the time) reflection and everything! (Povray?)  Not sure why but I kind of miss that old site layout.

The current stands out quite nicely, though, I like it.

Edited by Tebriel, 04 February 2013 - 03:52 PM.

#40 TheChubu   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4766

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:19 PM

Never noticed Big G? Big G is goin' to be angry...

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS