• Create Account

Got kids? Like sports? Then you can appreciate this.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
10 replies to this topic

#1 Alpha_ProgDes   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4688

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:06 AM

I'm impressed is an understatement.

Beginner in Game Development? Read here.

Super Mario Bros clone tutorial written in XNA 4.0 [MonoGame, ANX, and MonoXNA] by Scott Haley

If you have found any of the posts helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking the up arrow on those posts Posted Image

Spoiler

Sponsor:

#2 Alpha_ProgDes   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4688

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:06 PM

I guess no here likes sports, lol.

Beginner in Game Development? Read here.

Super Mario Bros clone tutorial written in XNA 4.0 [MonoGame, ANX, and MonoXNA] by Scott Haley

If you have found any of the posts helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking the up arrow on those posts Posted Image

Spoiler

#3 Bacterius   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 8315

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:22 PM

I don't like sports (or at least, not the kind of sport society seems to favour) and I have no kids. But it feels really rehearsed... they're not laughing or talking like a normal dad to his kid would, so it came across as a bit artificial, perhaps even commercial, at least to me. In all honesty, I found it dull and predictable.

Or perhaps I completely missed the message, in which case, well, perhaps this video is currently beyond my comprehension mellow.png

The slowsort algorithm is a perfect illustration of the multiply and surrender paradigm, which is perhaps the single most important paradigm in the development of reluctant algorithms. The basic multiply and surrender strategy consists in replacing the problem at hand by two or more subproblems, each slightly simpler than the original, and continue multiplying subproblems and subsubproblems recursively in this fashion as long as possible. At some point the subproblems will all become so simple that their solution can no longer be postponed, and we will have to surrender. Experience shows that, in most cases, by the time this point is reached the total work will be substantially higher than what could have been wasted by a more direct approach.

- Pessimal Algorithms and Simplexity Analysis

#4 tstrimple   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 1718

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:43 PM

I don't like sports (or at least, not the kind of sport society seems to favour) and I have no kids. But it feels really rehearsed... they're not laughing or talking like a normal dad to his kid would, so it came across as a bit artificial, perhaps even commercial, at least to me. In all honesty, I found it dull and predictable.

Or perhaps I completely missed the message, in which case, well, perhaps this video is currently beyond my comprehension mellow.png

Of course those routines are practiced, that's the point. I think what's impressive is her display of speed and coordination. She is also very fluid in her weave and strikes.

#5 Dwarf King   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1740

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:44 PM

Boxing is no good for your brain in the long run.

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education"

Albert Einstein

"It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education"

Albert Einstein

#6 way2lazy2care   Members   -  Reputation: 782

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:03 PM

Boxing is no good for your brain in the long run.

Only if you get hit ;)

#7 Bacterius   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 8315

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:10 PM

Of course those routines are practiced, that's the point. I think what's impressive is her display of speed and coordination. She is also very fluid in her weave and strikes.

That did not particularly impress me. Maybe it's just me or because I've been living with cats for so long, but I don't find it particularly noteworthy, especially if it's been practised, there's much more to coordination and agility than just executing predefined movements. In any case, just my opinion, really.

The slowsort algorithm is a perfect illustration of the multiply and surrender paradigm, which is perhaps the single most important paradigm in the development of reluctant algorithms. The basic multiply and surrender strategy consists in replacing the problem at hand by two or more subproblems, each slightly simpler than the original, and continue multiplying subproblems and subsubproblems recursively in this fashion as long as possible. At some point the subproblems will all become so simple that their solution can no longer be postponed, and we will have to surrender. Experience shows that, in most cases, by the time this point is reached the total work will be substantially higher than what could have been wasted by a more direct approach.

- Pessimal Algorithms and Simplexity Analysis

#8 fastcall22   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4149

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:16 PM

Nevermind, I can't AM/PM.

Edited by fastcall22, 30 January 2013 - 04:16 PM.

c3RhdGljIGNoYXIgeW91cl9tb21bMVVMTCA8PCA2NF07CnNwcmludGYoeW91cl9tb20sICJpcyBmYXQiKTs=

#9 BeanDog   Members   -  Reputation: 1063

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:01 PM

I have a boy about that age. Rehearsed or not, that's pretty darn impressive. I would have to practice that with my son every day until he was meaningfully older before he'd develop that kind of coordination and reflexes.

~BenDilts( void );

Lucidchart: Online Flow Chart Software; Lucidpress: Digital Publishing Software

#10 brx   Members   -  Reputation: 691

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:23 PM

Yes, she really is impressive and I really appreciate it.

To be honest, though, she's about two years too old to absolutely blow my mind (she would if it wasn't so obviously rehearsed).

My boy is two years old now and this really impresses me:

two year old drummer:

and another four year old

/yes, I am a drummer...

#11 ChaosEngine   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2232

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:19 PM

I don't have any kids, but I do teach Aikido to kids. We have a kids class (7 - 13) and a young kids class (5-7).

I don't care if it's co-ordinated or not, that is damn impressive. Most of the 9 or 10 year olds I see would struggle to achieve that level of co-ordination, never mind the younger kids.

My only concern would be the kid being pushed to do something just because the parent wants them to. I also used to teach swimming and I saw plenty of kids dragged along to class because Mommy or Daddy want a cheap babysitter, or they want the kid to achieve the goal they never did.

OTOH, if she's enjoying that, then that is an epic parenting win IMHO.  

if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS