• Create Account

Interested in a FREE copy of HTML5 game maker Construct 2?

We'll be giving away three Personal Edition licences in next Tuesday's GDNet Direct email newsletter!

Sign up from the right-hand sidebar on our homepage and read Tuesday's newsletter for details!

We're also offering banner ads on our site from just $5! 1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Advice for creating a rich interface-driven game

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 Mr-Wolfe   Members   -  Reputation: 107

0Likes

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:38 AM

Hey everyone. Here's the basic goal: to create a digital board game, in which exploration is simulated and controlled with interface (clicking on options, etc.) Think of it as a digital board game.

I don't care much about real-time interaction and AI (it would be turn based, like a board game), real time pathing, physics, and that kind of pace.  I haven't learned a programming language, although I've gotten my toes wet with Unity and JavaScript, and have used ActionScript before, as well as a lot of time in the old WarCraft III editor, which was helpful for understanding a basic theory of how a game "thinks" (events, conditions, actions, etc.) 

Anyway, I realized after a day or two of screwing around with Unity that it's terrible for creating and using interface, and is completely about 3D maps and models with behaviors, etc.  Please correct me if I'm wrong, because I'd love to use that engine for everything if possible.

I think I should first learn to program basic core game systems in something like Visual Studio though -- right?  That uses C#?  That would force me to learn more universal scripting without being distracted by all the toys and gizmos, I assume.

I eventually want to make interesting AI that WOULD work in real time, environmental systems, and things that you can't see or hear while playing but which make everything more interesting.  ANY advice on this is welcome, I'm lost at sea and feel like there's probably a million simple shortcuts and tricks I'm ignorant about.  I've gathered that you should basically pick an engine and a script and adapt what you know, but what would be best for this project?

Edited by Mr-Wolfe, 31 January 2013 - 06:01 PM.

Sponsor:

#2 FLeBlanc   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3109

0Likes

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:17 AM

I must admit I'm a bit confused on exactly what it is you want here.

You say you don't care about real-time interaction or AI, but then you say you want to make interesting AI and environmental systems (which, I assume, involve some level of interaction.)

I think you need to go back to the drawing table and figure out exactly what it is you want to accomplish. It sounds like you've got some vague, airy ideas but you're stumbling on the concrete execution of those ideas. Do some drawings, sketch up some preliminary design work, nail down some goals and then take that design and see if you can tweak Unity to do what you want it to do. If you can't, then try another tool.

But there really aren't a million simple shortcuts or tricks. There are actually very few shortcuts in this line of work.

#3 minibutmany   Members   -  Reputation: 1648

0Likes

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:18 PM

Unity is a good tool for game development, but it is not necessarily a faster path to your end product. If you have never coded before, a 3D game...or any game shouldn't be your first project. Visual studio has tools for creating programs in C++, C#, and Visual Basic.

Stay gold, Pony Boy.

#4 Mr-Wolfe   Members   -  Reputation: 107

0Likes

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:12 PM

I must admit I'm a bit confused on exactly what it is you want here.

You say you don't care about real-time interaction or AI, but then you say you want to make interesting AI and environmental systems (which, I assume, involve some level of interaction.)

I think you need to go back to the drawing table and figure out exactly what it is you want to accomplish. It sounds like you've got some vague, airy ideas but you're stumbling on the concrete execution of those ideas. Do some drawings, sketch up some preliminary design work, nail down some goals and then take that design and see if you can tweak Unity to do what you want it to do. If you can't, then try another tool.

But there really aren't a million simple shortcuts or tricks. There are actually very few shortcuts in this line of work.

Sorry, I edited the post to make it more clear.  I've already planned out a lot of what I want, including sketches and diagrams for how systems interact, and really it would be a playable game if you sat down and played it as a board game.  That ought to help, right?  So there's AI, in the sense that creatures have a branching set of considerations and actions, but there's not 20 creatures all fighting on screen at once, and chaotic action -- which simplifies it for me so I can see what works and how.  Does that make more sense?  It's turn based.

"Shortcut" may be the wrong word.  Even finding the language to describe things is tough when you're a beginner, but there are obviously very inefficient and very efficient methods for accomplishing the same thing.

@ minibutmany I don't want to make a 3D game yet, I really just want to start at the logical starting point.  You say I shouldn't make a game as my first project, but a "game" is just a program that people can have fun with, right?  I know that Visual Studio has those tools, I've got it downloaded already but I'd like advice on what language/program would be best to start testing this digital board game idea.  Thank you a lot

Edited by Mr-Wolfe, 31 January 2013 - 06:13 PM.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS