• Create Account

Co-op RPG

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 sandorlev   Members   -  Reputation: 193

0Likes

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:52 AM

Hey guys!

I'm a huge fan of the Diablos (yes, even Diablo III), and I have always wanted to make an isometric RPG. I already got some of the basics down, most importantly the basic map handling, just waiting for SDL 2.0 to come out so I can get it running on decent fps. Now, I've been thinking about making it an online game (as in anyone can make a game and 1-2 others can join). Would it take huge efforts? I have no experience in C++ socket programming, even though I figured I could just learn SDL_net.

Would I need to code everything with respect to multiplayer, or can I just add it later through some hacking?

Sponsor:

#2 FLeBlanc   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3101

2Likes

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:11 AM

I recommend you design it from the start to support multiplayer; hacking a singleplayer to add multiplayer is usually a lot more effort than just doing it right from the start.

Multi-player programming isn't too difficult, but it is kind of tricky for a beginner to get it right. It's not just a simple matter of sending commands through the connection; you also have to figure out a method for dealing with latency and disconnects, methods for screening input to try to prevent hacks and exploits, etc...

If you haven't completed a single-player game, though, I recommend you do that first. In the process, think about ways that you can structure your code so that when you do design a multi-player game you know a bit more about how to put it together. Come up with strategies for object management and communication that will facilitate multiplayer.

Also, do some smaller-scale multi-player projects. Simple chat clients, tests to figure out synchronizing objects, etc.. The more time you spend here, the better you will be able to spend your time on the big project.

#3 render donkey   Members   -  Reputation: 138

0Likes

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:14 PM

sounds very good。cheers

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS