• Create Account

We need your feedback on a survey! Each completed response supports our community and gives you a chance to win a $25 Amazon gift card!

Low level design of a tiled based movement game

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

#1 Cdrandin   Members   -  Reputation: 443

0Likes

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:56 AM

So, I want to make a 3D tiled turned based strategy game like Fire Emblem.  My only problem thus far is coming up with a solution on how to implement a tile based environment and the possible movement each unit can move.  For the movement my though was using something as A*, but modify, but just not sure how to mimic the tiled logic.  I will be using Unity to build this game on.  If anyone knows any good articles or ideas on how to achieve it would be appreciated.

Sponsor:

#2 skullfire   Members   -  Reputation: 357

1Likes

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:05 PM

Heya Cdranding,

I implemented a 3d tile system on Unity, creating the maps procedurally for the GGJ. What i ended up using was A* on top of the matrix that represented the map, and on unity just use the character motor to move the units within from tile to tile.

What I would've liked was to actually autogenerate a navmesh on the created tiled map, so that the units could move through corridors and edges in a seemingly smarter manner, as well as move in straight lines from one place to another, diagonally. I couldn't get this to work though, since apparently Unity doesn't support seting another navmesh on existing actors

Good luck!

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS