• Create Account

start a topic about rts game development

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
5 replies to this topic

#1 render donkey   Members   -  Reputation: 138

0Likes

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:26 PM

My teammates and I are working on a rts online game likes the Age of Empires.
And now,I just wanna find out somebody's are also do the same thing.
Lets talk about the AI,pathfinding,dynamic obstacle avoidance etc.
Even more,We can also discuss something about the editors for rts game. Such as the level editor,unit editor,object editor,skill(abilities)editor etc.
Come on guys,I am still waiting here looking forward to your reply.....

Sponsor:

#2 rtwilli   Members   -  Reputation: 107

0Likes

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:31 AM

Hi,

I’m new here, and this is my first post.

I’m also in to rts game programming and have been working on my own rts game.

I don’t know anything about any commercial or freeware level editors, but I’m working on designs for other game aspects.  Unit AI, game control GUIs, message and event
systems, exc.  There’s so much to do but it’s interesting work.

Looking forward to discussing rts programming.

rtwilli

#3 DasBruce   Members   -  Reputation: 104

0Likes

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:28 AM

If you're looking ot make an RTS game, have you looked at some of the foss engines already available? SpringRTS or MegaGlest?

They become more flexible and modable with each release and you'll save yourself thousands of hours of work that people have already done for you.

#4 C0lumbo   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2203

0Likes

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:21 AM

Doing an RTS, your two biggest technical challenges are probably going to be:

1. Efficient pathfinding for large numbers of units.

2. If you're planning to do lockstep multiplayer, which is common for RTS games (but not the only option), keeping your simulation free of anything which can cause a desynchronisation between players. This means not letting frame time, random number generators or floating point precision differences between processors cause any determinism issues.

#5 lask1   Members   -  Reputation: 674

0Likes

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:20 AM

. This means not letting frame time, random number generators or floating point precision differences between processors cause any determinism issues.

however if you need random number generation you could probably just perform that on the host and send that to the clients. Or should this be avoided all together?

#6 C0lumbo   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2203

1Likes

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:25 AM

. This means not letting frame time, random number generators or floating point precision differences between processors cause any determinism issues.

however if you need random number generation you could probably just perform that on the host and send that to the clients. Or should this be avoided all together?

If you're doing lockstep multiplayer the trick is to share the random number seed that you'll use for the game (in the same way you'd share the map that's been chosen) and make sure that the RNG you use for the simulation is separate from the RNG you use for particle effects and anything else that could potentially be frame-rate or system dependent.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS