• Create Account

How to start Network Programming?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 Cryptiik   Members   -  Reputation: 430

0Likes

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:37 PM

I've always been interested in learning how to make multiplayer games, or even simple server/client applications that might transfer text between each other sort of like an IM application. However I've never really been able to find a good tutorial or book that teaches network programming in C++. How did you guys learn and maybe you could point me in the right direction to some good resources? Obviously I'm not going to go out and start working on a multiplayer game right away but I want to be able to atleast make a simple program that can send "Instant Messages" back and forth between two users. Or is that still a bit too complicated?

Sponsor:

#2 Inverness   Members   -  Reputation: 115

0Likes

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:07 PM

Considering I'm already pretty proficient with C++, for learning networking, I looked at existing documentation and code for engines like Source, Doom 3, and UDK. They were really helpful in understanding how I would design my game architecture for networking and the different ways that are possible. UDK's documentation on its networking is extensive, and Valve has a developer wiki with information about how they handle networking.

Sending messages between servers is very easy depending on what kind of library you use, such as RakNet.

Unfortunately I can't really point you towards a specific book or tutorial since I never used one myself.

#3 DarkRonin   Members   -  Reputation: 604

0Likes

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:04 PM

Hi Cryptiik

There are some tutorials I wrote over on www.win32developer.com that should get you started.   :)

They will get you doing what you are after pretty easily. Basically you can cut & paste and you will be up and running.

But, once you are a little more confident you will have to handle error correction and packet framing etc, for better reliability and so on.

#4 wood_brian   Banned   -  Reputation: 197

-1Likes

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:14 PM

I have some examples on my website.  There's also an archive that you can download on the getting started page.  The code in the archive demonstrates sending binary messages between different programs.

#5 hplus0603   Moderators   -  Reputation: 5099

0Likes

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:04 PM

The FAQ for this forum has lots of pointers on how to get started and how to learn.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS