• Create Account

We're offering banner ads on our site from just $5!

1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Don't forget to read Tuesday's email newsletter for your chance to win a free copy of Construct 2!

NOTICE OF PENDING CLASS ACTION AND NOTICE OF PROPOSED SETTLEMENT

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
13 replies to this topic

#1 L. Spiro   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 13995

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:24 PM

I just got the e-mail confirmed to be true by Snopes here: http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/classaction/facebook.asp

I am wondering how many people got this.

Every single Facebook user?

Only those in/from America?

Only those whose likenesses were used?  Do they even keep records of that?  If this is the case, that means my likeness was actually used for some ad etc.

If you have Facebook, did you receive this notice?

As a Class Member I have the option to:

• Make a claim and get money if we win (up to $10).
  • Exclude myself (and possibly file my own suit later).
  • Object and say that the settlement is bad for X reasons.
  • Attend a fairness hearing.
  • Do nothing.

If you got the notice, which will you do?

If you did not receive the notice (either for not being on Facebook or for being on Facebook and not having had your likeness used), which option would you take?

L. Spiro

Edited by L. Spiro, 01 February 2013 - 08:29 PM.

It is amazing how often people try to be unique, and yet they are always trying to make others be like them. - L. Spiro 2011
I spent most of my life learning the courage it takes to go out and get what I want. Now that I have it, I am not sure exactly what it is that I want. - L. Spiro 2013
I went to my local Subway once to find some guy yelling at the staff. When someone finally came to take my order and asked, “May I help you?”, I replied, “Yeah, I’ll have one asshole to go.”
L. Spiro Engine: http://lspiroengine.com
L. Spiro Engine Forums: http://lspiroengine.com/forums

Sponsor:

#2 Mike.Popoloski   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2923

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:27 PM

I got the notice. Still deciding whether it's worth the hassle to make the claim.

Mike Popoloski | Journal | SlimDX

#3 Python Blue   Members   -  Reputation: 151

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:39 PM

I didn't get such a notice. Still, Facebook had the lawsuit coming, what with its Terms of Service....

Python Blue - composer available for work

Official Website
Bandcamp

#4 MrDaaark   Members   -  Reputation: 3555

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:06 PM

There needs to be something like this for Google. I haven't gotten one, but like Mike, not sure I would bother. Then again, I probably would, because it would be nice to teach all these guys a lesson about abusing our info. If none of us bother to claim it, then it doesn't make too big a difference to them in the end.

#5 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 20316

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:13 AM

I didn't get one. From what I read a few days ago, doesn't the lawsuit settlement actually permit Facebook to continue to use users in ads without their knowledge, but it has to provide a 

I mean, isn't this business as usual for Facebook? Make something absurdly ridiculous that nobody would opt-in for, get sued for a pittance (most of the money going to the lawyers anyway), make a donation to a few non-profits, implement an "opt out" option that's hard to find but keep the feature enabled by default knowing 99% of their users won't know it even exists? That's justice?

The lawyers should get paid, but not that much, and anyone who actually didn't appear in ads shouldn't get anything (What, do they have emotional trauma for the potential to have maybe appeared in an ad in a parallel universe?). Those who actually did appear in ads without their permission should get some serious cash ($10,000 to $20,000) - way more than $10 but definitely not millions. And Facebook ought to be fined absurdly hard, with the money going to non-profits that the judge chooses. Schools or the FSF or Ubuntu development or something.

I hate stupid lawsuits... but I hate companies getting easy settlements on legitimate lawsuits even more.

It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.
All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.
Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal

[Fly with me on Twitter] [Google+] [My broken website]

[Need web hosting? I personally like A Small Orange]

#6 Python Blue   Members   -  Reputation: 151

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:28 AM

I didn't get one. From what I read a few days ago, doesn't the lawsuit settlement actually permit Facebook to continue to use users in ads without their knowledge, but it has to provide a 

I mean, isn't this business as usual for Facebook? Make something absurdly ridiculous that nobody would opt-in for, get sued for a pittance (most of the money going to the lawyers anyway), make a donation to a few non-profits, implement an "opt out" option that's hard to find but keep the feature enabled by default knowing 99% of their users won't know it even exists? That's justice?

The lawyers should get paid, but not that much, and anyone who actually didn't appear in ads shouldn't get anything (What, do they have emotional trauma for the potential to have maybe appeared in an ad in a parallel universe?). Those who actually did appear in ads without their permission should get some serious cash ($10,000 to $20,000) - way more than $10 but definitely not millions. And Facebook ought to be fined absurdly hard, with the money going to non-profits that the judge chooses. Schools or the FSF or Ubuntu development or something.

I hate stupid lawsuits... but I hate companies getting easy settlements on legitimate lawsuits even more.

This is what I was trying to get at with my post: how corrupt Facebook is....

Official Website
Bandcamp

#7 L. Spiro   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 13995

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:47 AM

I’ve basically made up my mind.

As far as I know I was not used in an ad that was totally against my personal religion, which means an ad that supports alcohol or tobacco.

As someone who appears on TV regularly it is fairly obvious that I cannot be that level of hypocrite.  I don’t mind that my face is exposed to the public, since that is what it means to be in acting in the first place.

However if I ever found out that my face or name was used to promote smoking or drinking, heads would roll.

Given how many things for which my “likeness” could be used, I doubt it was for smoking or drinking.

That basically means I don’t have a real problem here, and the frank fact is Facebook is the only way I keep in touch with my friends and family.

I would not be doing myself a service by trying to sue Facebook.

Great.  Let’s all teach those corporates what it means to use our names in ads.

And now we can’t keep in touch with everyone we know.  Good job, us.  Way to be idiots.

L. Spiro

It is amazing how often people try to be unique, and yet they are always trying to make others be like them. - L. Spiro 2011
I spent most of my life learning the courage it takes to go out and get what I want. Now that I have it, I am not sure exactly what it is that I want. - L. Spiro 2013
I went to my local Subway once to find some guy yelling at the staff. When someone finally came to take my order and asked, “May I help you?”, I replied, “Yeah, I’ll have one asshole to go.”

#8 Python Blue   Members   -  Reputation: 151

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:02 AM

And now we can’t keep in touch with everyone we know.

You're talking as if Facebook is the only web-based community that exists. Those are my final thoughts on this subject; leaving this thread before it gets too out of control....

Official Website
Bandcamp

#9 wintertime   Members   -  Reputation: 1799

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:25 AM

Yeah lol that sounds as if facebook invented human long range communication. Theres a whole bunch of other such websites, theres emails, you could use the phone and in worst case you can bring a letter to the post office.tongue.png

#10 Alpha_ProgDes   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4692

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:46 PM

Great. Let’s all teach those corporates what it means to use our names in ads.

And now we can’t keep in touch with everyone we know. Good job, us. Way to be idiots.

Regardless of what kind of service Facebook provides they still should not be using anyone's likeness or personal information for ads without that person's permission. And certainly without compensation.

Beginner in Game Development? Read here.

Super Mario Bros clone tutorial written in XNA 4.0 [MonoGame, ANX, and MonoXNA] by Scott Haley

If you have found any of the posts helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking the up arrow on those posts Posted Image

Spoiler

#11 L. Spiro   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 13995

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:36 PM

Theres a whole bunch of other such websites

None of which my family and friends use.

theres emails

I use it with my mother and that is about it. Sites are better and the only one they all use is Facebook.

you could use the phone

From Japan? Paying long-distance charges and keeping conversations as short as possible is not the way to stay in touch.

in worst case you can bring a letter to the post office.tongue.png

And deal with Japanese postal workers? No thank you. I’d rather post on a wall. Simple, fast, no charge, and no need to explain things in Japanese.

L. Spiro

#12 Cornstalks   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6991

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:15 PM

I'm okay with companies using my information for marketing and whatever, provided they are clear and upfront about what they're doing with it and I've expressly permitted it.

I didn't get this email, but I've also set my privacy controls on Facebook to max and have disabled all apps and turned their app platform off. I've also disabled allowing me in social ads. I also never "like" anything on any site (I'll "like" friend's posts and pictures), and I use Disconnect on Chrome.

I've got mixed feelings of "it's someone's own fault if they don't take a few minutes to disable things and tune their privacy settings to what they want" and "Facebook (and pretty much everyone else) is being sneaky and sly, and I don't like it." People argue it's hard to turn up your privacy controls, but honestly, it's not that hard.

[ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

#13 Dwarf King   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1885

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:15 PM

L. Spiro, Skype is a free online phone software thing that you can use to speak with your mother for like forever without any cost besides the usually monthly internet fee. My wife is from China and we use it to speak with our Chinese family and friends all the time free of charge. Call when you want to some one's Skype account and the two computers will hook up and both of you can then speak for free. I and my wife never use facebook due to all the other so much more great options out there.

Type Skype and you shall see a world of free internet phoning biggrin.png  

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education"

Albert Einstein

"It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education"

Albert Einstein

#14 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 20316

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:32 PM

I'm okay with companies using my information for marketing and whatever, provided they are clear and upfront about what they're doing with it and I've expressly permitted it.

I didn't get this email, but I've also set my privacy controls on Facebook to max and have disabled all apps and turned their app platform off. I've also disabled allowing me in social ads. I also never "like" anything on any site (I'll "like" friend's posts and pictures), and I use Disconnect on Chrome.

I've got mixed feelings of "it's someone's own fault if they don't take a few minutes to disable things and tune their privacy settings to what they want" and "Facebook (and pretty much everyone else) is being sneaky and sly, and I don't like it." People argue it's hard to turn up your privacy controls, but honestly, it's not that hard.

There's a difference between harvesting my actions for research (Netflix or Amazon for example, for better recommendations to their user base, or better ad sales, for example), harvesting my personal information to sell to third parties, and using my identity to sell products to other people publicly (which, as I mentioned earlier, hadn't happened to me).

And it's nice to say, "yeah, just opt-out of that". But if there is no way to opt-out until Facebook settled the lawsuit, then that doesn't really hold water.

However, my understanding of the nature of the Facebook's feature was skewed. I heard on a respectable news site (Well, alright, it was Yahoo!, so almost respectable tongue.png) that someone had their Facebook profile associated with a 55 gallon container of lubricant and was used to market it without their knowledge.

What really happened, I've now found out, is that the person themselves posted the 55 gallon container on their Facebook page, and Facebook just highlighted the post in other feeds and linked to the product on Amazon, which is much less extreme (Here's the guy's article on it). The way it was initially phrased on Yahoo! made it sound to me (from a lack of details) that Facebook just associated a random user with a potentially embarrassing product to market it in ads when the user had nothing to do with it - but that's not what actually happened.

Edited by Servant of the Lord, 02 February 2013 - 08:32 PM.

It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.
All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.
Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal

[Fly with me on Twitter] [Google+] [My broken website]

[Need web hosting? I personally like A Small Orange]

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS