• Create Account

Interested in a FREE copy of HTML5 game maker Construct 2?

We'll be giving away three Personal Edition licences in next Tuesday's GDNet Direct email newsletter!

Sign up from the right-hand sidebar on our homepage and read Tuesday's newsletter for details!

We're also offering banner ads on our site from just $5! 1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Game Name - need help

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
25 replies to this topic

#1 shay.yizhak   Members   -  Reputation: 195

0Likes

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:31 AM

Hi All,

My name is Shay Yizhak and I'm CEO and Lead Programmer for a new indie game studio New Retro Studio. Currently, we're working on our first game, and despite having all of its design finished months ago, we have yet to find it a proper name. So, I'm looking for suggestions.

About the game: it's a space combat sim, resembling Freespace 2, and games like TIE-fighter and X-Wing alliance.

The problem with naming the game is that the setting is not constant. Everything in the game can change: the ships, the story, the characters, the settings and so on. So, we're looking for a general name. One that fits the game, and will fit any type of setting and campaign we use (at the moment, there are 3 planned campaigns, with a linking storyline. More will come later).

Any assistance you guys can give will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-Shay

Sponsor:

#2 Lailokken   Members   -  Reputation: 356

4Likes

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:07 PM

_- SHIFT -_

-- A man shows who he is, by what he does, with what he has.

#3 DaveTroyer   Members   -  Reputation: 1052

0Likes

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:04 PM

_- SHIFT -_

I was going to try and come up with something, but I think Lailokken did a bang up job coming up with a title that seems to fit the description given. biggrin.png

Check out my game blog - Dave's Game Blog

#4 Paul Franzen   Members   -  Reputation: 334

2Likes

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:02 AM

If you're at a point where everything can still change, it might be a good idea to just use a code-name for the time being, and come up with a more permanent name that suits the game perfectly once you know exactly what the game is, and what it's about. 

Life in the Dorms -- comedic point-and-click adventure game out now for Xbox Live Indie Games!

My portfolio: http://paulfranzen.wordpress.com/

#5 Kjansen92   Members   -  Reputation: 213

1Likes

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:25 PM

Metal G.R.O.V.E.

Geographical Revolution of Virtual Enemies

#6 shay.yizhak   Members   -  Reputation: 195

0Likes

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:09 PM

What about:

Genesis: Rise of Man?

#7 sunandshadow   Moderators   -  Reputation: 4980

0Likes

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:23 PM

VoidShot? PoliticoSpace?

Phone game idea available free to someone who will develop it (Alphadoku game - the only existing phone game of this type is both for windows phone only and awful. PM for details.)

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

#8 Lailokken   Members   -  Reputation: 356

1Likes

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:33 AM

What about:

Genesis: Rise of Man?

Heya Shay,

Personally, I think you should use any name that feels right to you.

Based on your original criteria though, I'm not sure the name works for what you're wanting to communicate to your audience. 'Genesis' seems more suited to 'origin' than 'change'. It sounded like the game world was not static.. that it was ever changing, but not like it was 'rebooting'.

As for the 'Rise of Man' part, I'm not sure how to comment on that. Nothing in the original post suggested that man had been defeated and/or was struggling to regain or take their place in the world.

Truly though, I don't believe the name of the game 'has' to reflect what the gameplay will be. People fall in love with the game, and not necessarily the name of the game. If it's a name that all of the developers like and can get behind, there are plenty of ways to bridge whatever continuity gap you feel there may be between name and game.

Good luck with the game.. hope it's a huge success.

-Lailokken

#9 Dan Violet Sagmiller   Members   -  Reputation: 896

1Likes

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:34 AM

unless you have a strong reason to begin formal marketing early, there is no reason not to stay with a code name until you have a press pack ready, which for new games with low/no advertising budgets is usually about a month before release (even if the release is a good demo, and not the full sellable product)

Typically, you need the formal name for marketing purposes.  anyone tracking it will be fine tracking via the code name.  But once you start hitting large audiences, then you need a name to be stabilized so people can refer to it easily and find it.  

Typically you don't want to start bothering press/magazines/game review sites until you have a demo ready for them to try anyway.  Text emails, even video's alone don't tend to excite the reporters.  That is just what you are telling them.  Especially for new groups, it doesn't matter what you say it is like, its your baby, its the best thing in the world.  They want to see and play the game.  If its not ready for audiences, at least in demo form, no game review source is going to want to post anything about it.  And also, they receive tens to hundred of leads on fresh games a day easy.  Even if they like your product, if it's not ready for some form of distribution, they won't post it, and when you talk to them again a month later when your demo is ready, it will be almost as if you never spoke in the first place.  I.e. so many games have passed in front of them since, that it will be difficult to recall.

Naturally, all the rules change if you are a game giant like Blizzard.  Game reviewers want to leak information on that as soon as possible.  even years before release, because enough people want to hear about it.

So, key concept, is that you don't need to switch from code name to formal name until you are ready for marketing.

Edited by hpdvs2, 07 February 2013 - 11:56 AM.

Moltar - "Do you even know how to use that?"

Space Ghost - “Moltar, I have a giant brain that is able to reduce any complex machine into a simple yes or no answer."

Dan - "Best Description of AI ever."

My Game(s), Warp Wars is in early development and can be found here: http://blog.WarpWars.Net.

#10 Dan Violet Sagmiller   Members   -  Reputation: 896

0Likes

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:00 PM

By the way, most reviewers, if the email catches their interest, will want press information available on your site, logo ideas, pictures, videos, something.  They also WANT your contact info.  Once you contact them, don't be afraid to post a phone number or email online for them to reach you.  I've heard of a situation where a popular game reviewer had come across a site about an indie game in development.  He liked what he saw, but on their site, they had NO contact info, no email, no phone number.  After about 5 minutes of trying to figure out how to reach them, he gave up, their loss.  

When I said Demo Ready, I meant that you have something playable, that really helps show the fun, or the graphics, or something really catchy about your game.  It doesn't need to be publicly available, but offer to send them a partial demo.  If they like what they see, they are often willing to go through a few hoops to install something, I.e. install this SDK, then run the exe for your game after copying it to this folder.  It doesn't need to be a complete installer.  But try to keep the hoops low.  They want good stories don't make it hard for them.

Edited by hpdvs2, 07 February 2013 - 12:03 PM.

Moltar - "Do you even know how to use that?"

Space Ghost - “Moltar, I have a giant brain that is able to reduce any complex machine into a simple yes or no answer."

Dan - "Best Description of AI ever."

My Game(s), Warp Wars is in early development and can be found here: http://blog.WarpWars.Net.

#11 shay.yizhak   Members   -  Reputation: 195

0Likes

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:25 PM

Thanks for all the good advice, guys.

As for the name - the game ships with 3 campaigns, and the name I suggested fits the story of those campaigns (they are about the time when humanity is trying to recover from a catastrophe). After trying to find a general name, and reading some of your advices, we decided to go with a name that fits the campaings we produce, even if players may create new one.

As for marketing stuff - the game is still in early production stages, but our site is almost complete and once it goes live (scheduled for May) it will feature all of the content you mentioned: screenshots, videos, devlog and of course - contact information. I was actually looking for a name so I'd know which url to register...

#12 GearTreeEntertainment   Members   -  Reputation: 412

0Likes

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:35 AM

Inspired off Lailokkens name:
Cosmic Shift

I'm da almighty Gear

#13 AspireAN   Members   -  Reputation: 130

0Likes

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:21 PM

With the very limited information given, I can come up with a few names. Although, it does not sound like the game is incredibly deep in terms of story (Although I can't really know for sure). But if that is the case, I would try to keep the name simpler than something like "Genesis: Rise of Man"

You could just go with "Genesis"

Also:

"Shock Point"

"Rift Runners"

etc.

They are all very generic names, but without any pitch for the story, we can't really come up with any custom names.

#14 GearTreeEntertainment   Members   -  Reputation: 412

0Likes

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:53 PM

With the very limited information given, I can come up with a few names. Although, it does not sound like the game is incredibly deep in terms of story (Although I can't really know for sure). But if that is the case, I would try to keep the name simpler than something like "Genesis: Rise of Man"

You could just go with "Genesis"

Also:

"Shock Point"

"Rift Runners"

etc.

They are all very generic names, but without any pitch for the story, we can't really come up with any custom names.

the name Shock point is to close the classic game System Shock and Rift runners is also to the famous mmorpg Rift. ​But the name Genesis sounds pretty cool.

Edited by GearTreeEntertaiment, 12 February 2013 - 04:56 PM.

I'm da almighty Gear

#15 Benderwiz   Members   -  Reputation: 162

0Likes

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:08 PM

prima facie

#16 Amadeus H   Members   -  Reputation: 1180

1Likes

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:00 AM

You should also consider the search-ability of your name... Where does you site rank when searching for "Genesis" vs. another, less common, name for example.

#17 Lailokken   Members   -  Reputation: 356

0Likes

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:02 AM

You should also consider the search-ability of your name... Where does you site rank when searching for "Genesis" vs. another, less common, name for example.

Amadeus makes a great point. This is something I think about too when naming a game. Sometimes it can be a good thing, but other times not so much. As Amadeus suggested, Genesis will probably return a ton of results in a search, but are they going to be looking for a computer game, or perhaps something Bible related?

If your goal is site ranking then you may do okay by piggy-backing off a well known name, even if the subject matter of that well known name has nothing to do with your game. Then again, people aren't wild about being misdirected and ending up on a site that has nothing to do with what they were searching for.

#18 ShiftyCake   Members   -  Reputation: 566

0Likes

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:53 AM

The easiest way to find a game name is thinking up numerous amounts of them with your group, rather then focusing on finding one, and picking the one that your team agrees on.

If, at any point, what I post is hard to understand, tell me. I am bad at projecting my thoughts into real words, so I appreciate the knowledge that I need to edit my post.

I am not a professional writer, nor a professional game designer. Please, understand that everything you read is simply an opinion of mind and should not, at any point in time, be taken as a credible answer unless validated by others.

I do take brief bouts of disappearance so don't worry if I either don't reply to you or miss certain things. I am quite a lazy fellow.

#19 Norman Barrows   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2204

0Likes

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:18 PM

My name is Shay Yizhak and I'm CEO and Lead Programmer for a new indie game studio New Retro Studio. Currently, we're working on our first game, and despite having all of its design finished months ago, we have yet to find it a proper name. So, I'm looking for suggestions.

Welcome to the hardest part of building a game, coming up with a cool name for it.

Much will depend on it. Your customers will recognize you by that name, not by your company name usually.

Your web presence and marketing will all be built around it and what you can do with it.

and of course you need it to be catchy, etc, etc.

Your decision to base it on the story line of the campaigns is what i would have recommended.

Norm Barrows

Rockland Software Productions

"Building PC games since 1988"

rocklandsoftware.net

#20 Got_Rhythm   Members   -  Reputation: 288

0Likes

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:18 AM

"Written in the Stars"

You're welcome ;)

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS