• Create Account

People keep PMing me thinking I'm a moderator... help?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
51 replies to this topic

#1 Cornstalks   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6966

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:21 PM

Just got another one of these today. I've lost count how many I've gotten. Honestly, I have absolutely no clue why they think I'm a mod. My completely wild guess is maybe they're looking under Moderator section of the "Top Members" where I just so happen to be (currently) #2 (which, by the way, I think these moderator points are kinda lame because the real moderators aren't getting points for actually doing real moderating).

I'm not sure what to do about it. I always just report the PMs to bring a mod to the attention of their request. But I'm trying to think of a way new people can more easily contact a moderator if they need to. Or at least know the people in the Moderator section of Top Members aren't actually moderators.

So, good people of GameDev (and especially anyone new! I'm making this thread with you in mind), how can we help new people know how to contact a moderator if they need to?

[ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

Sponsor:

#2 Alpha_ProgDes   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4680

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:28 PM

They could just give you a Moderator title. That way the PMs would be completely legit. :D

Beginner in Game Development? Read here.

Super Mario Bros clone tutorial written in XNA 4.0 [MonoGame, ANX, and MonoXNA] by Scott Haley

If you have found any of the posts helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking the up arrow on those posts Posted Image

Spoiler

#3 Madhed   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2487

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:31 PM

Must be your obscene amount of rep points. I'll gladly take some... biggrin.png

Edited by Madhed, 04 February 2013 - 04:31 PM.

#4 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 17060

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:46 PM

The PMs I get usually are just hobbyist team invites from developers, programming help requests from beginners, or spam from robots. sad.png

How do you have the ability to move threads without being a moderator?

It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.

[Fly with me on Twitter] [Google+] [My broken website]

All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.                                                                                                                                                       [Need free cloud storage? I personally like DropBox]

Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal

#5 Cornstalks   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6966

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:54 PM

They could just give you a Moderator title. That way the PMs would be completely legit. biggrin.png

I thought we were all voting for Servant of the Lord as the new mod of GD.net tongue.png

Must be your obscene amount of rep points. I'll gladly take some... biggrin.png

Aw, come on, I'm not Hodgman smile.png

The PMs I get usually are just hobbyist team invites from developers, programming help requests from beginners, or spam from robots. sad.png

I don't. That's the funny thing. I get requests to move threads, people letting me know about links in threads going to bogus/adult sites asking me to clean it up, someone saying someone hacked their computer based on a link to a bogus site in a profile website url, etc...

Edited by Cornstalks, 04 February 2013 - 04:54 PM.

[ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

#6 Hodgman   Moderators   -  Reputation: 27567

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:03 PM

Aw, come on, I'm not Hodgman

My name is Hodgman, and I'm a GD netholic...

I get requests to move threads, people letting me know about links in threads going to bogus/adult sites asking me to clean it up, someone saying someone hacked their computer based on a link to a bogus site in a profile website url, etc...

Heh, that's kind of a positive feedback loop then, because I'm guessing you do the right thing, which is pressing the report button, which in turn grants you "moderator points", pushing you to the top of the "top members / moderator" list... making people think you're a moderator, PMing you... GOTO 10.

#7 Cornstalks   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6966

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:07 PM

I get requests to move threads, people letting me know about links in threads going to bogus/adult sites asking me to clean it up, someone saying someone hacked their computer based on a link to a bogus site in a profile website url, etc...

Heh, that's kind of a positive feedback loop then, because I'm guessing you do the right thing, which is pressing the report button, which in turn grants you "moderator points", pushing you to the top of the "top members / moderator" list... making people think you're a moderator, PMing you... GOTO 10.

You nailed it :) There's no escaping this loop, so I created this thread trying to figure out where/how to break it.

#8 Madhed   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2487

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:19 PM

You nailed it smile.png There's no escaping this loop, so I created this thread trying to figure out where/how to break it.

throw NotAModeratorException();

#9 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 17060

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:27 PM

They could just give you a Moderator title. That way the PMs would be completely legit. biggrin.png

I thought we were all voting for Servant of the Lord as the new mod of GD.net tongue.png

Now that Promit was made a moderator a year or two ago, anything else is just frosting on the cake.

Plus, what with me trying to make a game at all, being made a moderator would just get me more excuses to procrastinate and delay development, so I'm happy to abdicate* in favor to your coronation instead. smile.png 

*It's always easy to abdicate positions you don't have - just ask Edward VIII.

I don't. That's the funny thing. I get requests to move threads, people letting me know about links in threads going to bogus/adult sites asking me to clean it up, someone saying someone hacked their computer based on a link to a bogus site in a profile website url, etc...

Then the bigger question is, why do you get points for intentionally posting threads in the wrong section? laugh.png
postedinwrongplace.png
(From to your rating breakdown)

It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.

[Fly with me on Twitter] [Google+] [My broken website]

All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.                                                                                                                                                       [Need free cloud storage? I personally like DropBox]

Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal

#10 Stormynature   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2662

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:02 PM

My completely wild guess is maybe they're looking under Moderator section of the "Top Members" where I just so happen to be (currently) #2 (which, by the way, I think these moderator points are kinda lame because the real moderators aren't getting points for actually doing real moderating).

Yay for receiving no requests :)

But I do agree with the mod points being somewhat weird with the actual mods being so low or non-existant on it. I report threads posted in the wrong place but I don't expect a reward from it, I just figure that it is good forum behaviour and overall keeps things where they belong. Perhaps if the name was changed to something less conflictive with the title Moderator.

#11 swiftcoder   Senior Moderators   -  Reputation: 9584

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:04 PM

My completely wild guess is maybe they're looking under Moderator section of the "Top Members" where I just so happen to be (currently) #2 (which, by the way, I think these moderator points are kinda lame because the real moderators aren't getting points for actually doing real moderating).

Agreed. I'd really like them renamed to something other than "moderator points".

Then the bigger question is, why do you get points for intentionally posting threads in the wrong section? laugh.png
postedinwrongplace.png

I think we need Mike up in here. That is really pretty funny.

Tristam MacDonald - Software Engineer @Amazon - [swiftcoding]

#12 Alpha_ProgDes   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4680

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:08 PM

Well now we have you, StormyNature, and SotL. :D

Beginner in Game Development? Read here.

Super Mario Bros clone tutorial written in XNA 4.0 [MonoGame, ANX, and MonoXNA] by Scott Haley

If you have found any of the posts helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking the up arrow on those posts Posted Image

Spoiler

#13 Hodgman   Moderators   -  Reputation: 27567

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:20 PM

postedinwrongplace.png

I think we need Mike up in here. That is really pretty funny.

It's the +5 mod points for having a reporting something -- in this case, the text is the name of the PM where the report button was clicked.
According to the report centre, you handled that one yourself ;)
0CCZxVl.png

Yeah I agree with renaming "moderator points". Or maybe in the 'top members' section that lets you view the top "community moderators", we also list the official moderators to avoid confusion?

Also, while we're here, we mods need another option besides completing genuine reports (+5 points to reporter) and deleting spurious reports (-10 points to troll reporter). If someone makes a triple post and asks us to go and delete them, I don't want to give them a reward for it tongue.png (nor a -10 punishment).

Edited by Hodgman, 04 February 2013 - 07:28 PM.

#14 mhagain   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 7418

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:36 PM

Simple solution might be to just bump the real mods to the top of the Moderator ranking list, if the software allows that.

It appears that the gentleman thought C++ was extremely difficult and he was overjoyed that the machine was absorbing it; he understood that good C++ is difficult but the best C++ is well-nigh unintelligible.

#15 swiftcoder   Senior Moderators   -  Reputation: 9584

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:37 PM

Simple solution might be to just bump the real mods to the top of the Moderator ranking list, if the software allows that.

If we are going that route, a longer-term solution is to make actual moderator actions confer mod points. Then we should stay neatly on top of the list.

Tristam MacDonald - Software Engineer @Amazon - [swiftcoding]

#16 Casey Hardman   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2155

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:27 PM

completing genuine reports (+5 points to reporter)

You (and JBAdams in another thread) seem to be saying that you get +5 reputation when a moderator sees and fulfills a report (as long as the report is legitimate), but in the past few days, I've made two reports, and the moment I make the report, I get +5 reputation.  It doesn't come later, it comes to me on the next page I visit after reporting something.

So I think we're just getting reputation for reporting anything, not getting it the moment a moderator sees the report and deals with the problem (which seems to be what you're saying is supposed to happen).

Unless you moderators are just really fast with fulfilling reports...

#17 Cornstalks   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6966

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:42 PM

You get +5 instantly for reporting, but -10 if they (later) decide you made a stupid/frivolous/troll report.

#18 Casey Hardman   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2155

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:21 PM

Ah, I see...so essentially, it's just the same as if they gave +5 for good reports and -5 for bad ones.

I thought it might have been a bug, or the moderators were actually super androids capable of processing reports extremely quickly.

I was leaning more towards the latter (obviously)

#19 Ashaman73   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6685

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:42 AM

It is the red text in your avatar. In the corner of the eyes it is an indication that you are a moderator.

#20 Sik_the_hedgehog   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1483

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:17 AM

Then the bigger question is, why do you get points for intentionally posting threads in the wrong section? laugh.png
postedinwrongplace.png

That image taken out of context is just plain worrisome. You get reputation points not just for posting topics in the wrong section but also for crashing linked lists too? o_O Looks like this is the TDWTF reputation meter.

Hey, somebody had to make the joke =P

Don't pay much attention to "the hedgehog" in my nick, it's just because "Sik" was already taken =/ By the way, Sik is pronounced like seek, not like sick.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS