I'm currently designing a roguelike that aims to capture the high fantasy gameplay concepts and present them in a very different setting. This futuristic setting stars a world that is populated not by dragons and magic, but by machines and technology. Some concepts I've already envisioned in this new setting are:
- Mythical creatures such as dragons, giants, and other assorted monsters are now represented by a network of sentient, biomechanical entities
- Different humanoid races like orcs and elves are "modern" humans with biomechanical or mutant characteristics
- Magic is replaced with electromagnetic, nanotechnic, or chemical weapons and tools (possibly separating these disciplines?)
- Undead creatures are machines or cyborgs controlled by a necromancer, or hacker
- Potions are very similar, instead being injected rather than ingested
- Dungeons are abandoned underground facilities (including actual prisons)
- Melee weapons are relevant because armor technology has surpassed firearm technology
- Arrow and bolt weapons are railguns/coilguns; ammo is large but able to penetrate armor, unlike conventional bullets
Things I've picked out but haven't been able to translate yet:
- Treasure (chests)
- Deities and worship (maybe just keep this? but how would I explain the effects)
- A relatively small population and medieval social structure
If any of you guys could come up with ideas, especially for those concepts outlined at the bottom, it would be really helpful. Thanks!
Edited by Boreal Games, 04 February 2013 - 09:32 PM.