[This is related to collisions, so I am assuming this is the correct forum]
Let's assume the following:
- I have a server which stores the player's position (float x, float y, float z) [Don't worry about precision... just simplifying]
- Client sends the server it's updated position ever 250ms or so.
- Server has bounding boxes for all buildings & players ( Let's say each wall has it's own AABB or OBB. Do not assume a "tight" fit)
- For broad-phase collision detection, I use spatial hashing based on the bounding boxes.
- Client does full-on triangle level collisions locally.
My question: - How can I quick calculate if a player has passed through a wall on the server only using AABBs or OBBs. Or, is there no way to do that without going to triangle-level collision detection. Maybe some other data structure? Any help would be appreciated - storing something else other than AABBs or OBBs?