• Create Account

Microsoft confirms XNA is over

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
30 replies to this topic

#1 Thomas Wiborg   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 632

0Likes

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:15 PM

Thought you guys would like to now :)

http://www.develop-online.net/news/43146/Microsoft-confirms-XNA-is-over

Best Regards

Thomas

Sponsor:

#2 Alpha_ProgDes   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4688

4Likes

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:37 PM

There really needs to be some functionality that shows when similar topics already exist.

Beginner in Game Development? Read here.

Super Mario Bros clone tutorial written in XNA 4.0 [MonoGame, ANX, and MonoXNA] by Scott Haley

If you have found any of the posts helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking the up arrow on those posts Posted Image

Spoiler

#3 slicer4ever   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3323

2Likes

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:52 PM

There really needs to be some functionality that shows when similar topics already exist.

like...and stay with me on this one...a search function?!

Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

#4 noatom   Members   -  Reputation: 782

0Likes

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:12 PM

well,i never used xna,mostly because it was in c#.But I'm sure they'll make a replacement for it

#5 Geometrian   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1450

-2Likes

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:40 PM

well,i never used xna,mostly because it was in c#.But I'm sure they'll make a replacement for it

It's called "OpenGL". wink.png

And a Unix user said rm -rf *.* and all was null and void...|There's no place like 127.0.0.1|The Application "Programmer" has unexpectedly quit. An error of type A.M. has occurred.

#6 mhagain   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 7574

3Likes

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:59 PM

It's called "OpenGL". :wink:

gimme an OpenGL that behaves reasonably consistent on different vendors hardware and I'll believe you...

It appears that the gentleman thought C++ was extremely difficult and he was overjoyed that the machine was absorbing it; he understood that good C++ is difficult but the best C++ is well-nigh unintelligible.

#7 TheChubu   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3952

8Likes

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:12 PM

OpenGL 1.1 should behave consistently by now :P

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

#8 Hodgman   Moderators   -  Reputation: 28480

6Likes

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:13 PM

It's called "OpenGL". wink.png

It's called MonoGame.

#9 HonestDuane   Members   -  Reputation: 151

0Likes

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:25 PM

So C++ with the new math libs is the only future proof option?

#10 Hodgman   Moderators   -  Reputation: 28480

0Likes

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:50 PM

Define "future proof"?

If you want to make games for XBLIG, then XNA is still the only option, even though there's not going to be any updates to it from now on...

#11 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 17960

0Likes

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:02 PM

Which part of the C++11 math library are you talking about? They didn't add standardized matrices or similar without informing me, did they?

It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.

[Fly with me on Twitter] [Google+] [My broken website]

All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.                                                                                                                                                            [Need web hosting? I personally like A Small Orange]
Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal

#12 Alin   Members   -  Reputation: 391

0Likes

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:30 PM

That's really bad news ...

#13 HonestDuane   Members   -  Reputation: 151

0Likes

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:24 AM

Which part of the C++11 math library are you talking about? They didn't add standardized matrices or similar without informing me, did they?

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/chuckw/archive/2012/03/27/introducing-directxmath.aspx

Or if you rather: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/shawnhar/archive/2013/01/08/simplemath-a-simplified-wrapper-for-directxmath.aspx

#14 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 17960

0Likes

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:39 AM

Ah, thanks, I thought you were talking about something in the new C++ standard.

It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.

[Fly with me on Twitter] [Google+] [My broken website]

All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.                                                                                                                                                            [Need web hosting? I personally like A Small Orange]
Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal

#15 SimonForsman   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 5953

0Likes

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:21 AM

I was a bit surprised that Microsoft even bothered with updating XNA in the first place, i've always seen it as the indie xbox360 API (and the xbox360 doesn't change much).

The big question i would like to see answered really is: Does Microsoft intend to completely ignore indie developers for their next console or will there be a lower level wrapper instead for that one ?

I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

#16 mhagain   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 7574

0Likes

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:08 AM

I was a bit surprised that Microsoft even bothered with updating XNA in the first place, i've always seen it as the indie xbox360 API (and the xbox360 doesn't change much).

The big question i would like to see answered really is: Does Microsoft intend to completely ignore indie developers for their next console or will there be a lower level wrapper instead for that one ?

I don't see why a hypothetical "DirectX 12" can't fulfil both roles.

It appears that the gentleman thought C++ was extremely difficult and he was overjoyed that the machine was absorbing it; he understood that good C++ is difficult but the best C++ is well-nigh unintelligible.

#17 NightCreature83   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2689

0Likes

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:23 AM

I don't see why a hypothetical "DirectX 12" can't fulfil both roles.

I read a post about what MS sent to the DX and XNA MVPs(http://ventspace.wordpress.com/2013/01/30/directxxna-phase-out-continues/) the other day and that really seemed to indicate they where stopping every thing DX related, and sticking the parts that where used in the platform SDK. This means we are only going to see a potential "D3D 12" when windows 9 rolls around, seeing win 8 shipped with 11.1 which is rumored to be the API the next Xbox will use as well.

It seems MS is making people use C++ again as this is their major language for win 8 development on all win 8 varieties.

Worked on titles: CMR:DiRT2, DiRT 3, DiRT: Showdown, GRID 2, Mad Max

#18 Hodgman   Moderators   -  Reputation: 28480

3Likes

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:37 AM

and sticking the parts that where used in the platform SDK

This has already happened. The "DirectX SDK" stopped existing long ago.

It seems MS is making people use C++ again as this is their major language for win 8 development on all win 8 varieties.

Why so? You can't use plain old C++ at all with WinRT/Metro/Windows-Store -- you can use C++/CX or C# though, which appear to be on equal footing.
You can also use D3D via C# -- XNA was never a "C# version of D3D", it's a comprehensive game framework/engine.

So C++ with DirectXMath is the only future proof option?

You're comparing XNA, which is a complete game framework programmable via C#, with C++ and DirectXMath, which is a language and a math library? I don't understand the comparison...

Edited by Hodgman, 08 February 2013 - 04:41 AM.

#19 phantom   Moderators   -  Reputation: 6871

0Likes

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:33 AM

They aren't "making" you do anything; C# (well, anything .Net really) remains a core language for Windows development, be it RT/Metro/Phone or desktop. What has happened is that C++ has got back on an equal footing inside the ecosystem so it can be used and interop with those other languages in a much nicer way (the C++/CX extensions are pretty swish; allowing interop while also allowing normal C++ code).

The way they are handling WP8 and Metro/Store development MIGHT be a hint as to how they'll allow development for the next console; the kernel is likely to be the same after all so you have the same sandboxing models in place as you have in Store/Phone apps. I wouldn't expect it on release, but 6 months to a year down the line, once everything is stable? Maybe.

Of course, much like Window's Store apps I wouldn't be surprised if you needed to be running Windows 8 to develop for it...

#20 Six222   Members   -  Reputation: 439

0Likes

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:59 AM

Yeah they've stopped support on it but it is still a perfectly good framework to use.

Edited by Six222, 09 February 2013 - 07:32 AM.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS