• Create Account

FREE SOFTWARE GIVEAWAY

We have 4 x Pro Licences (valued at $59 each) for 2d modular animation software Spriter to give away in this Thursday's GDNet Direct email newsletter.

Read more in this forum topic or make sure you're signed up (from the right-hand sidebar on the homepage) and read Thursday's newsletter to get in the running!

debug visual studio vs debug.exe

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 the dodger uk   Members   -  Reputation: 148

0Likes

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:45 PM

ok , i have a weird problem , i just ran a long test

if i run my project in visual studio debug , it takes 11min 23 seconds to load and run

if i copy over the debug.exe and run it from project folder , it takes 27 seconds

i  have to assume i  did something odd in the settings in visual studio, any one any ideas

Sponsor:

#2 SiCrane   Moderators   -  Reputation: 9674

2Likes

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:05 PM

When run from the debugger an MSVC application will have a few differences. For example, IsDebuggerPresent() will return true rather than false. The biggest difference from a performance standpoint is that the debug memory allocator will be used. Allocations will be larger with more sanity checking information, impacting cache misses and increasing the time necessary for each allocation and deallocation. If your program does a lot of small allocations this can really add up.

#3 Nik02   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2927

0Likes

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:38 AM

Furthermore, Visual Studio tries to find all the symbols for all runtime dependencies of your program, sets up thread monitoring, builds runtime metadata for your variables, etc.

Niko Suni

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS