• Create Account

IslandWorld

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
18 replies to this topic

#1 george7378   Members   -  Reputation: 1055

2Likes

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:15 PM

This is an image from my first Direct3D development project. My ultimate (if ambitious) vision for this project is to eventually create an immersive and calming island scene for an observer to explore using sound, visuals and physics. It is currently in an early stage, but it's at the point where some nice scenes can be observed. This is one of them, showing a screenshot of a sunset from a perspective standing in the shallow water.

This screenshot shows off nice alpha blending effects (the surface of the water is animated) and shadowing and lighting corresponding to a setting sun. The models are basic but they fit the scene quite well.

I have been motivated to work on this project because I have been programming in C++ for a number of years now, and I have got to the point where I want to have more graphical capability available to me than offered by basic libraries such as GDI. I also find myself wishing that I could just use my computer's 3D processing power to play a 'game' in which the only aim is to explore and relax rather than progress through levels and attain specific goals, hence why I used this island scene idea to get started with my first custom 3D graphics project.

Some of the lessons I learned during this project are 3D graphics programming! I also learned that the true solution to a problem is usually the simplest one, and that simple experimentation often yields nice results.

Click here to view the iotd

Sponsor:

#2 hikarihe   Members   -  Reputation: 243

1Likes

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:51 AM

cool!!

#3 jcabeleira   Members   -  Reputation: 594

1Likes

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:04 AM

Your images look quite noisy, do you have mipmapping enabled?

Other than that, nice work! Keep it up.

#4 Steve_Segreto   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1410

0Likes

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:33 PM

Consider using alpha testing on the leaf and frond textures when generating the shadow map, it might look cool!

#5 Steve_Segreto   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1410

1Likes

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:34 PM

Great work by the way! Save money on a vacation to the Bahamas, you can just go there virtually!

#6 george7378   Members   -  Reputation: 1055

1Likes

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:35 AM

Thanks!

I don't have mipmapping enabled at the moment - it it something I was thinking about in the future though, once I sort out some more pressing things!

I had thought of alpha testing for the shadows, but I don't really know how to get it to work! I have of course enabled it for the leaves themselves, but if I do the same thing when rendering the shadows, they just look the same. To create the shadows I'm using a matrix to flatten the objects onto the floor, and I then apply a shadow material to them to make them the right colour. Is it possible to use alpha testing with this method?

Thanks!

#7 Steve_Segreto   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1410

0Likes

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:43 PM

Tell me more about your shadow material? Do you still sample the original diffuse texture and just "grey" out the colors? Or are you just swapping a dark texture for all the original diffuse textures and sampling from that?

#8 george7378   Members   -  Reputation: 1055

0Likes

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:27 PM

I'm rendering the shadow using the original textures applied to the tree, but applying a D3DXmaterial to it with diffuse set to (0, 0, 0, 0.4). I started a thread here which has a picture of what's happening:

http://www.gamedev.net/topic/639155-combining-alpha-testing-and-blending/

#9 Darg   Members   -  Reputation: 203

1Likes

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:21 AM

Have a look at shadow buffers, I find them easier to understand than stencil shadows which I think is what you're describing. They also intuitively handle overlapping shadows and you can so some nice filtering with them to achieve soft shadows and other effects.

Portfolio & Blog:http://scgamedev.tumblr.com/

#10 george7378   Members   -  Reputation: 1055

0Likes

Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:55 AM

I'd really like to be able to use proper shadow buffers, and I get the concept (render from the light's point of view, store the depth info to see which areas are in shadow, etc...) but I think it would be a large leap beyond my current level, and there are a few other things I'd like to get sorted first!

#11 Claude Fleming   Members   -  Reputation: 107

1Likes

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:27 AM

That is a fascinating scene! How did you make the trees and leaves? I'm considering making 3d games someday, but I  am all thumbs and not artistic.

You are a good programmer. :)

#12 george7378   Members   -  Reputation: 1055

0Likes

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:37 AM

Haha, thanks! It would actually look a lot better if I updated it now since I've learned to use shaders which would make the shadows and the water look a lot nicer. I did the leaves by using alpha testing - i.e. apply a partially transparent texture to a plane and then if a pixel has a smaller alpha than a chosen cutoff value, it is seen as transparent. Much easier than modelling the leaves in 3D!

#13 Joey Muiser   Members   -  Reputation: 108

1Likes

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:31 AM

Cool, what are the model types? I guess you wrote your own model loader to load these in?

You could tell me what sources youve used to learn how to create water/shadowmapping?

Cool! 

#14 george7378   Members   -  Reputation: 1055

0Likes

Posted 07 May 2013 - 05:13 PM

The models are just .x files - yes, I created a class to load, draw, unload them, etc...

The water is actually just a plane with an alpha blended texture, and the shadows were created by flattening geometry - really basic! This was a while ago though and I now use shaders to do all the drawing. This gives far superior shadow mapping/normal mapping/specularity/diffuse lighting, and this scene would look tonnes better if I re-made it with shaders! If you're just beginning I'd advise you to get going with shaders straight away - they are fantastic and would allow you to create something infinitely better than this!

#15 Bacterius   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 7047

0Likes

Posted 26 May 2013 - 04:10 PM

I guess you never expected your IOTD to stay on the front page for over three months eh george?

Would be interesting to see a follow-up with shaders :)

"The best comment is a deleted comment."

#16 theweirdn8   Members   -  Reputation: 165

1Likes

Posted 27 May 2013 - 08:43 AM

I smell zombies are hiding somewhere. :D

[Agriduel]
Check out my nice little Farming Game that is MORE than just raising farm animals and crops..

#17 george7378   Members   -  Reputation: 1055

0Likes

Posted 27 May 2013 - 02:42 PM

I guess you never expected your IOTD to stay on the front page for over three months eh george?

Would be interesting to see a follow-up with shaders smile.png

No, I tried to submit another one actually, until I realised it was closed! I don't know why, I think this is an awesome idea.

I may well make a new scene with shaders for water and lighting!

I smell zombies are hiding somewhere. biggrin.png

Yes, some lovely normal mapped, shadow mapped zombies :)

#18 wodinoneeye   Members   -  Reputation: 618

0Likes

Posted 12 September 2013 - 07:14 AM

Looks servicable.   Minor variations in the Z coordinates of the terrain surface might give it a little more organic look.

It might be possible to do similar with the trees  - a scalling factor of only 25% would vary them quite a bit  (even sinking the same sized tree slightly different a base depth on its XY positions Z height.

--------------------------------------------Ratings are Opinion, not Fact

#19 wisewonky   Members   -  Reputation: 108

0Likes

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:35 AM

Love the idea. The avenue is very infant but I get the appeal. For some reason games like Mist and the Netherhood seemed to relax me, as well as the overworlds in Spyro 2. It would be intersting to see what ideas you come up with to enhance that mood.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS