• Create Account

dot product

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 giugio   Members   -  Reputation: 215

0Likes

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:15 PM

hello.
I must analize a lot of dot product.
These dot product are from the x axes {1,0} and a 2d point in the space.
Is possible that each dot product for each two point in my space is unique?
there is a method for make unique the dot product result of each dot from {1,0} to each point in the space?
or there are some incongruency(two different dot product have a scalar that is the same of and two different vectors?
and with the normalization?
i can avoid this problem?
thanks.

Sponsor:

#2 RulerOfNothing   Members   -  Reputation: 1160

0Likes

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:27 PM

I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to say, so correct me if I misinterpret you. You are saying that you are analysing dot products between the x unit vector (1,0) and a collection of vectors representing points in 2D space. In this case the dot product is simply the x co-ordinate of the vector, so if you had vectors (3,0), (3,10) and (3,-10) then they would all have the same dot product. If you normalise the collection of vectors you still have problems if some of the vectors are parallel with each other (for example, the vectors (3,4) and (6,8) would both normalise to (0.6,0.8)). Hopefully this helps.

#3 Paradigm Shifter   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 5372

1Likes

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:35 AM

Dot products aren't invertible since they aren't bijective.

If a, b are vectors then the solution a.b = k defines a hyperplane (i.e. a line in 2d a plane in 3d) so there are infinitely many points satisfying the equation.
"Most people think, great God will come from the sky, take away everything, and make everybody feel high" - Bob Marley

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS