Any good java programming books for begginers?

Started by
12 comments, last by ninuson 11 years, 2 months ago

Hello! After I heard that Microsoft is cutting xna, and i tried experimenting with it, I decided that would like to use java as my first programming language. Now, are there any good game programming books for it? I looked, but I have seen books that are outdated. Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I see that I am an idiot and spelled beginner wrong *facepalm*

Advertisement

I would recommend learning C# or C++ over Java if you really want to do game development that is. There are plenty of books that could teach you java without making games or are you specifically looking for ones in which you make games?

You can still write games in C# with different APIs, or even use GDI.

If your looking for ones specific to game development, I imagine it will be slim pickings. Games are not typically made in java so there will not be that many books on the subject of game development using Java. You might try looking into android game development as that would use java but would likely have newer titles, but they'd be written for an android development.

why not you learn c++ instead ?? C++ is faster than Java, however its up to you :)
if you change your mind and want to learn C++ instead, here is a book i recomended

Beginning C++ Through Game Programming [Amazon]

why not you learn c++ instead ?? C++ is faster than Java, however its up to you smile.png
if you change your mind and want to learn C++ instead, here is a book i recomended

Beginning C++ Through Game Programming [Amazon]

I have an older edition of this book and it was amazing. I recommend this book as well.

My java book I used was head first http://www.amazon.com/Head-First-Java-Kathy-Sierra/dp/0596009208/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1360406369&sr=1-1&keywords=java+head. I'd recommend that one too. My goal wasn't to finished the book. All I wanted was to read up on what I needed to know to start android and had no problems getting that background with that book.

Hello! After I heard that Microsoft is cutting xna, and i tried experimenting with it, I decided that would like to use java as my first programming language. Now, are there any good game programming books for it? I looked, but I have seen books that are outdated. Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I see that I am an idiot and spelled beginner wrong *facepalm*

Head first java. Without the doubt the best book out there. One of the authors is some kind of learning teacher, so they explain everything super effectively. They even have tips on how to prepare your brain for learning :)

“There are thousands and thousands of people out there leading lives of quiet, screaming desperation, where they work long, hard hours at jobs they hate to enable them to buy things they don't need to impress people they don't like.”? Nigel Marsh

Thanks for all the replies. The main reason why I did not use c++ s because it wasn't a good choice for people without programming knowledge. Some person here said to read this:http://www.gamefromscratch.com/post/2011/08/04/I-want-to-be-a-game-developer.aspx. I'll diffidently consider looking at that book, and the head first java book!

Have you looked into MonoGame at all? It's built around the XNA framework and allows you to port your game into multiple OS's, and you don't have to learn an entirely different programming language. You can still use XNA to build basic 2D games on the PC for now, so if you're just trying to learn, it's still a viable solution.

Have you looked into MonoGame at all? It's built around the XNA framework and allows you to port your game into multiple OS's, and you don't have to learn an entirely different programming language. You can still use XNA to build basic 2D games on the PC for now, so if you're just trying to learn, it's still a viable solution.

I have heard about it once, I'll look into it more now. Thanks :)

Thanks for all the replies. The main reason why I did not use c++ s because it wasn't a good choice for people without programming knowledge. Some person here said to read this:http://www.gamefromscratch.com/post/2011/08/04/I-want-to-be-a-game-developer.aspx. I'll diffidently consider looking at that book, and the head first java book!

C++ is a steep learning curve, however that doesn't mean it doesn't make a good choice for people without programming experiance. The reason I say this is because a fresh mind in my opinion is a better mind to learn on. I came from the web world, learning Flash/Javascript and PHP before learning other languages. In the web world you learn hacky fixes to make it just work and don't really care about what the user is using as a browser since you mainly build for one. PHP is also a very dirty language which allows you to learn VERY VERY bad habits when it comes to programming.

Translating my PHP experiance to C++ I started to do alot of bad bad practices because its ones that I had picked up from prior experiance.

I say, if you feel you can handle a large curve, try it out. If its a little to much and overbearing, throttle back a bit. If you are having a little trouble with the basics, don't be scared to take up something lite like Python. Just don't compare your progress to things you play daily. Compare your progress to the folder archive you have on your desktop for applications you programmed.

I usually just give my 2 cents, but since most of the people I meet are stubborn I give a 1$ so my advice isn't lost via exchange rate.

The O'Reilly book "Killer Game Programming in Java" is not bad but I don't think it is intended as a first programming book -- though probably a good place to start if you are willing to do the work. Also, I disagree with the people telling you to start with C++ as a first language but would agree with the idea that you shouldn't discount C# because of the XNA situation. Don't worry about the XNA situation -- it won't effect you -- if you're researching C#/XNA already, just use that.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement