• Create Account

How to publish html5 javascript game.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
15 replies to this topic

#1 JackBid   Members   -  Reputation: 453

1Likes

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:58 AM

I finished making a game in javascript with html5, however at the moment I just have a file that contains:  html file, javascript file, css file and some sound files. How do I publish this on the web? I have heard that html5 games can be put on kongregate as well. So just any information about upload html5 games in general would be useful.

Sponsor:

#2 EmployeeNumber8   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1103

-1Likes

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:53 PM

Take a look at c9.io  

You can use it for free, and it has a browser based IDE, so you can make changes on the fly.

#3 Alan C   Members   -  Reputation: 137

0Likes

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:57 PM

Here is a tutorial on how to publish html5 games to kongregate:

https://www.scirra.com/tutorials/79/uploading-html5-games-to-kongregate/page-1

There are several sites similar to kongregate, such as Armored Games, just do a seach of 'online games'. Each has a specific set of APIs you will need to implement in order to earn revenue and have them work with loging in and other features.

You can also host it on your own website.

#4 Ravyne   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6991

2Likes

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:20 PM

You just need to have a server to drop it on. Now, there are various portals where you probably want your game to be, and each will have its own way of doing things, so you'll have to research each one.

As far as deployment, you probably want to look into obfuscating and minimizing your JavaScript, and if the portals aren't hosting the files for you, then you also want to look at compressing your deployment. If your game becomes popular, you might also want to look at using a CDN provider to push your content closer to your users.

#5 EmployeeNumber8   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1103

0Likes

Posted 09 February 2013 - 03:19 PM

you probably want to look into obfuscating and minimizing your JavaScript

+1 for obfuscating and minimizing you scripts. There are tons online, but the Google Closure Compiler probably does the best job.

#6 True Valhalla   Members   -  Reputation: 169

1Likes

Posted 09 February 2013 - 03:38 PM

You can upload your package contents to your own website, or if you don't have one, you can upload them to a public DropBox folder for example, and then just distribute the link.

For distribution, you can upload the game to sites like Kongregrate and Newgrounds (currently private requests must be made for HTML5 games), or you can begin searching for sponsors. I discuss the process of finding sponsors in my book, Making Money With HTML5, and they are a great way to reach huge audiences. My HTML5 games portfolio recently exceeded 2,000,000 plays in less than a year.

Also, you mentioned you're including sound files in your game. I'd recommend against this, as you'll find a lot of incompatibilities with audio at this time, especially on mobile devices.

Edited by True Valhalla, 09 February 2013 - 03:38 PM.

During the past year I've generated tens of thousands of dollars making games for the mobile web, so I wrote a book: Making Money With HTML5

#7 minibutmany   Members   -  Reputation: 1532

0Likes

Posted 09 February 2013 - 04:02 PM

After you get it on a server, you may also considering posting it on the Google Chrome web app store, in order to increase publicity.

Stay gold, Pony Boy.

#8 JackBid   Members   -  Reputation: 453

0Likes

Posted 09 February 2013 - 04:38 PM

You can upload your package contents to your own website, or if you don't have one, you can upload them to a public DropBox folder for example, and then just distribute the link.

For distribution, you can upload the game to sites like Kongregrate and Newgrounds (currently private requests must be made for HTML5 games), or you can begin searching for sponsors. I discuss the process of finding sponsors in my book, Making Money With HTML5, and they are a great way to reach huge audiences. My HTML5 games portfolio recently exceeded 2,000,000 plays in less than a year.

Also, you mentioned you're including sound files in your game. I'd recommend against this, as you'll find a lot of incompatibilities with audio at this time, especially on mobile devices.

Is there a better way to do the sound then? Almost all games on sites such as kongregate and newgrounds have sound, including html5 ones.

#9 True Valhalla   Members   -  Reputation: 169

1Likes

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:10 PM

The thing is, with HTML5 you should be targeting both desktop and mobile users. If you're not, then you're not using HTML5 to its fullest. You might as well just use Flash for desktop games, otherwise.

Mobile is where the biggest issues for sound are. The latest update to iOS introduced support for the WebAudio API, but audio on most non-iOS devices is just awful currently.

So it depends on what you're planning to do with your games. If they are primarily desktop, you might as well add sound, but you probably shouldn't be using HTML5. If they are primarily mobile, you should avoid sound for the time being.

During the past year I've generated tens of thousands of dollars making games for the mobile web, so I wrote a book: Making Money With HTML5

#10 JackBid   Members   -  Reputation: 453

0Likes

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:56 AM

hmmm. It works fine when the file is on my desktop, but when I put it on dropbox it just glitches out and doesn't work. Is there something wrong with my code?

#11 EmployeeNumber8   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1103

0Likes

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:31 AM

Post the link to your app, so we can help.

I bet it is just your href and src attributes are not pointing to the resources properly now that your stuff is on Dropbox.

#12 True Valhalla   Members   -  Reputation: 169

1Likes

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:33 PM

hmmm. It works fine when the file is on my desktop, but when I put it on dropbox it just glitches out and doesn't work. Is there something wrong with my code?

It's quite common for HTML5 games to work locally, and then break when uploaded online (for various reasons). You should post the link like EmployeeNumber8 said. You should test a live version of your game very often, as it's so easy to introduce problems that are difficult to later debug.

#13 JackBid   Members   -  Reputation: 453

0Likes

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:51 PM

This is the live version which isnt working: https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/movement.html?w=AABxoOoL24nRLTbvhgf2kAlOUQOnsrAEhp3SRRQcpWx1iQ

May also be import to note that when I was making it and I coded something wrong, it looked like it does now.

#14 True Valhalla   Members   -  Reputation: 169

2Likes

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:43 PM

Your link should look more like this:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/46018476/example/index.html

(null link, just an example)

Go into your Dropbox "Public" folder, where your game should be, right click your index.html file, and choose "Dropbox >> Copy Public Link". Use that.

Edited by True Valhalla, 10 February 2013 - 03:44 PM.

#15 JackBid   Members   -  Reputation: 453

0Likes

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:26 PM

Your link should look more like this:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/46018476/example/index.html

(null link, just an example)

Go into your Dropbox "Public" folder, where your game should be, right click your index.html file, and choose "Dropbox >> Copy Public Link". Use that.

Thanks so much! Got it working! Also noticed a few bugs which I am gonna fix before I put on kongregate, but don't think I could of done it without you!

#16 True Valhalla   Members   -  Reputation: 169

1Likes

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:43 PM

Not a problem! Best of luck with your game.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS