• Create Account

Spine: 2D skeletal animation

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
5 replies to this topic

#1 NateS   Members   -  Reputation: 111

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:36 PM

Hey guys, just wanted to drop in to spread the good word about a game development tool I've been writing with my good friend, Søren. I'm the programmer and he's the artist. The tool is called Spine and is used to build 2D skeletal animations specifically for games. We are doing a Kickstarter and passed our intial goal in just 3.5 days! We now have ~13 days left and we've just posted stretch goals, which include our plan for how to get Spine runtime support for almost all game toolkits.

You can see the Kickstarter here, and also a download link to try it now:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/esotericsoftware/spine

Hopefully you like our tool and can take advantage of the ~50% off you get by obtaining a license before the Kickstarter is over. smile.png

dragon-screenshot700.jpg

The dragon project was provided by ODI EntertaintmenT.

Edited by NateS, 09 February 2013 - 08:17 PM.

Sponsor:

#2 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 16688

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:11 PM

That looks really great. How effective do you find it at JRPG-style avatars, like this:

soldiernpc01walk.png

(from Heroes of Allacrost - which I'm not associated with)

It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.

[Fly with me on Twitter] [Google+] [My broken website]

All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.                                                                                                                                                       [Need free cloud storage? I personally like DropBox]

Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal

#3 Shiu   Members   -  Reputation: 105

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:28 PM

@Servant of the Lord, Hi I'm the artist behind Spine so I just wanted to chime in and try to answer your question. There are multiple ways you can achieve that in Spine. For the image you linked, you could use a combination of switching images and tranforming bones. The benefit you get with that is that you can use procedural animation for it so you would be able to "blend" the best of both worlds.

One user of Spine has already done this. It's not a JRPG-style game he is doing, but it is the same principle. You can see it here. 

I hope this helps.

Cheers!

#4 Animate2D   Members   -  Reputation: 182

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:31 PM

I really dig Spine. I hope to add export format support for it. Seems like cool stuff and a great replacement for Toonboom if your intent is to develop a game.  Which is the reason wrote my program: Toonboom did not offer what I was looking for.  An exported a sequence of pngs did not animate well when I integrated it with the other game dynamics.  It was too rigid.  This software solves that problem.

What a great video example.  Cool top down perspective!

Edited by Animate2D, 12 February 2013 - 12:34 PM.

#5 NateS   Members   -  Reputation: 111

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:26 AM

Sorry to bother again, but only 7 hours left then the Kickstarter is over. smile.png Last chance to get a license at a big discount. Remember, you get all future updates for free.

#6 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 16688

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:49 AM

Congrats on reaching your goal!

It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.

[Fly with me on Twitter] [Google+] [My broken website]

All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.                                                                                                                                                       [Need free cloud storage? I personally like DropBox]

Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS