• Create Account

RTW tutorial for DX

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 riuthamus   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4319

2Likes

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:30 AM

http://www.cspaul.com/wiki/doku.php?id=publications:Rosen.2012.I3D

This was linked in another thread. My question is does anybody have or know of a tutorial on where we could get this working? Cascaded shadow maps are kicking our ass and from what this guy is saying RTW could be faster, better, smoother, and easier to implement. Any guidance on this would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsor:

#2 Promit   Moderators   -  Reputation: 6106

0Likes

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:16 PM

It certainly seems like an interesting technique, and it might be worth emailing him for some sample code. It sounds like you need to render a low res shadow map, then read that back and do CPU processing to determine the importance map. (Which can be whatever, it just weights parts of the shadow image as wanting more precision.) That implies a one frame delay in the warping to me; can't imagine why that would be a problem but it's something to keep in mind. I guess you have to upload the importance maps back to GPU and then render the warp map from that. Possibly a good candidate for compute? 

Edited by Promit, 10 February 2013 - 11:16 PM.

#3 riuthamus   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4319

0Likes

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:17 AM

hm... yeah def sounds like it could be of use. Thanks for the heads up and will see what I can find out.

#4 Tordin   Members   -  Reputation: 604

1Likes

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:19 AM

Make sure to keep the rest of gamedev updated aswell :) i am going to follow this thread if you find out more.

"There will be major features. none to be thought of yet"

#5 riuthamus   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4319

0Likes

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:02 AM

I talked to him and this is what he said:

Unfortunately, I only have time to answer concise
questions. I do plan to release a demo version of my software in the
coming weeks. If you would like notification of the release, please
e-mail me.

I asked him if he had time to help with a project on getting this integrated. Anyway i replied and told him that without any clear tutorials or setup guides it would be nearly impossible for new people to add/try. We shall see what happens though.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS