• Create Account

Where to Start?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 sev666   Members   -  Reputation: 103

0Likes

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:41 PM

Ive been interested in games development for a while now and im wondering where should i start blender? unity? i want to become a coder or scripter so should i learn a coding language? which one? Or should i make a game in something like scratch?

Sponsor:

#2 minibutmany   Members   -  Reputation: 1533

2Likes

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:21 PM

Try out GameMaker first, no coding required.

Unity is for more advanced games and while it is very powerful without code, you can do so much more with scripts.

You will find on this forum and on others that the "which language should I learn" is highly controversial.

Personally I like to use Java, it is not a bad place to start and is a good tool for any simple and complex game ideas.

C++ is arguably "better" in a few complex ways, but isn't an easy place to start.

I can also recommend C#, Processing, and python for ease of use and as powerful development tools.

Stay away from javascript for now, you may find it useful later on but it really doesn't teach the greatest coding skills and can be frustrating and problematic.

Keep in mind that if your main goal is to make a simple game, go for a code-less environment because learning a language for the first time can take a while.

Of course, after a while you will find that game maker or scratch can't do everything you want them to do, then it's time to learn a language.

Stay gold, Pony Boy.

#3 mollekake   Members   -  Reputation: 143

1Likes

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:26 AM

I also suggest gamemaker first.

When you want to learn a language, i suggest Java. I started with doing small minecraft bukkit mods with java, was fun and easy to start with.

Now i moved on to C# and XNA.

Seems like a good decicion so far.

#4 hikarihe   Members   -  Reputation: 243

0Likes

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:36 AM

first of all if you are only interested in casual game development, go ahead and use a game engine. if you want to get a clear understanding of how games and graphics work and want to have more control over what you create, please read on.

what knowledge do you have?

> If you have no programming knowledge at all I would recommend C# with XNA. It's easy to use and makes you understand how games work.

> If you have programming knowledge I would suggest using OpenGL with your favorite language. From what I understand it is the most widely used graphics library.

Besides programming, you will need to somehow import 3D models into your code if you are working with 3D, or sprites if you are working with 2D (I'm not sure if you know what sprites are. If you don't I'll try to explain.)

For 3D modelling you can find models online, or you can make your own models using Blender or any other tool you like.

For 2D again you can look online, or you can use any image editing software like GIMP, Paint.NET, photoshop etc.

I'm not an expert but I had trouble getting simple answers when I started out so hopefully this was helpful.

Good luck

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS