• Create Account

Bump mapping my water

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 george7378   Members   -  Reputation: 1185

0Likes

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:50 PM

Hi everyone,

I've recently come across the technique of bump mapping, and I think I could really put it to use on my water (at the moment it's just a flat plane with a transparent, moving texture applied to it). I was wondering if anyone can direct me to a full tutorial for it? At the moment, I've found some potentially good stuff on MSDN:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/windows/desktop/bb206304%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

I haven't tried this yet though. Is it really as simple as importing a texture and setting some texture stage states?

Thanks! I'll probably experiment more with this tomorrow.

Sponsor:

#2 nfactorial   Members   -  Reputation: 729

0Likes

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:23 AM

I'm not sure what your question is really, if it's "Is bump mapping useful for water" then I'd say that it depends on what kind of water you're doing. If you're rendering some fairly flat surface (such as a lake) then yes, bump mapping is very useful (though, not a silver bullet on its own). Bump mapping is covered in many places on the internet a simple google search should give you plenty of information.

From the rest of your post, it sounds like you're not using shaders which will limit visual quality you can achieve. Water rendering consists of both reflected and refracted components based on the the angle between the viewer and the surface normal (for more information on this, you should research the fresnel equation).

To make things more complicated, the depth of the water at the view->surface point should be taken into account when building the final color. There are other things to consider also, but it depends what kind of level of visual representation are you trying to achieve.

For more volatile surfaces, such as oceans, bump mapping alone is usually not enough to convey a realistic representation. You should probably investigate displacement mapping or even displacement with tesselation.

n!

#3 george7378   Members   -  Reputation: 1185

0Likes

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:05 PM

Hmm, thanks. I guess I'm just a bit confused about how to actually implement it. I understand the principle, but there doesn't seem to be much out there telling me how to actually make it happen. Is it possible to apply a bump map in blender, and then export the object as a .x file? How would I go about doing that? I've tried searching and it seems that there isn't much useful info out there telling me how to do bump mapping in direct3d.

#4 nfactorial   Members   -  Reputation: 729

0Likes

Posted 15 February 2013 - 02:27 AM

Hmmm, I don't know. I do a search for ''bump mapping dx tutorial'' and I immediately get:

http://www.rastertek.com/dx11tut20.html

Which looks like a fine starting point to me. I can't see that you could try searching and not find anything, as there is a lot of stuff around.

n!

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS