• Create Account

How do you get the OpenGL libs linked when building in Visual C++?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 blueboycurtis   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 18 October 2001 - 09:55 PM

Hello, I am not new to programming, I do it for a living -- however, I have been using mostly web technologies, java, and straight C++. I AM new to OpenGL and to Microsoft programming. So I am having some real difficulties. My main concern is this: I have an OpenGL game programming book (written by the CEO and COO of GameDev.net) and it conveniently shows how to write a simple windows WGL program to use OpenGL -- but doesn''t really mention the intricacies involved. (I guess they assume you know Visual C++ well. Oops) Anyways, I need to know about what I wrote in the subject email: when I go to BUILD my .CPP file, it gives me many errors regarding UNRESOLVED EXTERNAL SYMBOL for all of the openGL stuff. I KNOW this has to do with linking (otherwise the stuff compiles fine) ... anyone know how to deal with this? Also, if you know of a good crash course online in general for linking and building Win32 / MFC / etc programs, let me know. Thanks!

Sponsor:

#2 Dactylos   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 18 October 2001 - 10:08 PM

Go to "Project"->"Settings", and select the "General" category under the "Link" tab. There in the "Object/Library modules" text-box you add "opengl32.lib" and "glu32.lib"

(Sorry if it was to detailed )

#3 blueboycurtis   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 18 October 2001 - 10:46 PM

Ok, umm... thanks for the info with linking libraries for projects in Visual C++. However, I still get a message about "unresolved external symbol _main"

I assume this has to do with my use of
int WINAPI WinMain(HINSTANCE, HINSTANCE, LPSTR, int)

Is there another standard windows library that I need to link? The books make no mention of this (I have two Visual C++ books and two game programming books and they all conveniently IGNORE library linking!!)

#4 Punika   Members   -  Reputation: 229

Posted 18 October 2001 - 10:59 PM

Hi,
You have choose the wrong Project. You choose Win32-Consoleapplication but you need Win32-Application.

Bye

Punika

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS