• Create Account

We need your feedback on a survey! Each completed response supports our community and gives you a chance to win a $25 Amazon gift card!

gravity problem

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

#1 KurtO   Members   -  Reputation: 230

0Likes

Posted 15 February 2013 - 02:44 AM

here my problem.

With "medium" downForce my collisionresponse/sliding is very nice.

with "high" forceDown (good when falling outside the level) the sliding is jerky.

medium force = problem when falling outside, the player falls to slow.

high force = problem for player to go uphills. if i set the gravity that is good for falling the player have not enough power to go uphills wihout gravity pushing player down.

I would like a gravity that is good enought from basic with freefall and also so the player can climb hills?

Do i have to calculate two different gravity, one for on plane and one outside plane?

Also, i rotate my whole gamelevel so when rotation begins i need the player to slide down the floor at a good speed.

A good speed now on ground is to slow. that makes two gravities now work.

I hope you understand my problem.

When using strong downForce, my collision sliding becomes jerky and player can´t walk uphills (even moderate hills).

I use v- = n * dot(n,v) but i don´t feel it makes any change to my gravity / shouldent this formula reduce gravity once on contact with a plane?

Edited by KurtO, 15 February 2013 - 02:44 AM.

Sponsor:

#2 tomdb   Members   -  Reputation: 149

0Likes

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:22 AM

Ok, I don't know if I understand your problem exactly but this is how I am trying to handle this. I don't know either how you handle your movement.

But to the point. Whenever an object is moving, I generate an 'action'. I put this action in a ActionQueue, and every frame I execute all the actions in the queue. The key to my system is that there can't be a 'up-movement'-action and a 'down-movement'-action(like gravity) at the same time in the queue. So when I generate a gravity-action, I first check if there's already a jump-action, if yes: I don't do gravity, if no, gravity is fine. So instead of having two separate gravity-speeds, I have to gravity-states: 1) Full gravity, because an object is in the air and is not jumping and 2) no gravity, because either the object is jumping or it isn't on the ground.

I hope this makes sense ;).

Tom

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS