GLUT installation

Started by
10 comments, last by blueshogun96 11 years, 1 month ago

im trying to install GLUT but when i run glutmake.bat im ending up with these error's:
[attachment=13641:Untitled.png]

what should i do? :\

by the way, i saw a tutorial that explained how to use GLUT and install it and there was a step that said that i should check

for the dirctory of VC++ for Opengl32.lib file and i couldn't find one.. it could be the problem? (the opengl32.lib is in the VC folder not VC++)

thanks!

EDIT:

some warning's that i saw after going up:

[attachment=13642:Untitled.png]

Advertisement

as long as you include OpenGL32.lib in linker > additional dependencies, visual studio will find it

I don't know about the errors though sorry ^ ^

if you ever want to try an alternative to GLUT I recommend using SDL. http://lazyfoo.net/SDL_tutorials/index.php this site has good tutorials and easy instructions to set it up

tried that :\

doesn't work for me.

is there a solution to fix this problem?

im learning from the official book for opengl and they using GLUT as far as i know so im going to stay with that in the mean while.

thanks any way.

sorry for the double post but i have to ask, is this site that provide the .lib file and .h file for glut is up to date?:

http://user.xmission.com/~nate/glut.html

it say's 2001 and i dont know if it's ok or not.

and i heard there is "Free GLUT" what is better ?

EDIT:

so i installed the GLUT with this guide:
http://web.eecs.umich.edu/~sugih/courses/eecs487/glut-howto/

and it's work but couple of problems:
1.when i compile and run the program with VC++ i first get a console black window and after 1~3 seconds i get the window showed up (and the console is still in the background), how can i prevent that?

2.when i compile the program and try to run it from the EXE it created i get an error like this:
The program can't start beacause glut32.dll is missing from your computer.
Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.

should i use SDL? is it better?

hikarihe is right, just include opengl32.lib in the additional dependencies, along with glut32.lib.

If you downloaded GLUT, you should have a GLUT.h and a glut32.lib.

You should put GLUT.h in the "VC\Include\GL" folder (then you use #include <gl\glut.h>) and the glut32.lib in the "VC\lib" folder.

The last warning you get are because of the code in your program, not the installation of GLUT.

And yes, i think FreeGLUT is more up-to-date than GLUT, but i'm not sure, since i've never used it.

hikarihe is right, just include opengl32.lib in the additional dependencies, along with glut32.lib.

If you downloaded GLUT, you should have a GLUT.h and a glut32.lib.

You should put GLUT.h in the "VC\Include\GL" folder (then you use #include <gl\glut.h>) and the glut32.lib in the "VC\lib" folder.

The last warning you get are because of the code in your program, not the installation of GLUT.

And yes, i think FreeGLUT is more up-to-date than GLUT, but i'm not sure, since i've never used it.

First, thanks smile.png

if you could help me with this:

EDIT:

so i installed the GLUT with this guide:

http://web.eecs.umich.edu/~sugih/courses/eecs487/glut-howto/

and it's work but couple of problems:

1.when i compile and run the program with VC++ i first get a console
black window and after 1~3 seconds i get the window showed up (and the
console is still in the background), how can i prevent that?

2.when i compile the program and try to run it from the EXE it created i get an error like this:
The program can't start beacause glut32.dll is missing from your computer.

Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.

should i use SDL? is it better?

that would be great! smile.png

The program crash is caused because you don't have glut32.dll in your computer.

If the GLUT you downloaded didn't come with that DLL, try Googling for it, download it and place it either on the C:\Windows\System32 (C:\Windows\SysWow64 if your using 64-bit Windows) folder or the folder your program is in.

The console you get when using GLUT, is because the main() function in a C++ program creates a console window, which you have in your program. Normally when using the Windows API you use WinMain() instead of main(), and thus no console window is created, but i don't know if this works with GLUT.

Maybe there's some other way to disable the console window.

Then, SDL and GLUT are different things. GLUT is just a window manager, but SDL is much more (it can be used solo or with conjunction with OpenGL).

I haven't used SDL so i can't help you with that matter.

let's say i compiled a program and send it to a friend,

that friend need to install manually the glut32.dll in his computer too?

i didnt see any other program that require that and why other programs didnt made me do that?

if the console window is because of the main() function how can i cancel it?

is there any tutorial's that can teach me how to run it with no error's or unwanted console's? :P

Thanks again Skye you're very helpful :)

Again, i don't know how to remove the console when using GLUT (although, in DevC++ you have an option of not creating a console window).

But you shouldn't worry about it too much, after all you're just starting out. When you get used to it, you will probably use the Windows API to create the window, and then no console will appear.

And yes, when you give your program to a friend you he has to have the DLL too. But this is not uncommon, if you want to give your program to someone, just send it along with the DLL, and that's it.

If you want, go to the folder of any game you have installed on your computer, and check if there are any DLL. They probably are there, so it's really common stuff.

if i'm not mistaken to run a program you only need the .dll files. the .lib and .h files are only used to build the executable. so if you send a program to someone, it would be a good idea to make it a folder which includes the .exe along with all the required .dll files.

OpenGL and its utility library (GLU) is by default installed on Windows so you only really need to include the .dll files for the external libraries you use

for example if you only use SDL with OpenGL, then just put SDL.dll in the folder where your executable is (and if you use visual studio also put it in the project directory you are working on). I hope this helps ^.^

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement