C++ & OpenGL for 3d game engine

Started by
5 comments, last by mynameisnafe 11 years, 1 month ago

I've been learning c++ and now i'm interested to what it would take to start a basic 3d game engine. Few questions then:

1. would it be good to have c++ & opengl

2. Is there any specific software i need or downloads

3. Where would i start

4. Is there any good tutorials which could start me of

Thanks for any help in advance

Advertisement

You may find this a good tip.

But yes, for graphics programming, go with C++ and OpenGL. Python and PyOpenGL may be a good alternative if you're not a strong programmer yet.

If you have a compiler, most come with GL headers (or possibly in a fairly accessible download).

My recommendation is to start making a simple OpenGL application. At the risk of self-promotion, my Introduction to OpenGL Programming covers the basics of making a working cross-platform OpenGL 2 program (using SDL as a backend). It's about 100 lines long (mostly comments) and is intended exactly for people needing to get started with a minimum of fuss.

[size="1"]And a Unix user said rm -rf *.* and all was null and void...|There's no place like 127.0.0.1|The Application "Programmer" has unexpectedly quit. An error of type A.M. has occurred.
[size="2"]

You may find this a good tip.

But yes, for graphics programming, go with C++ and OpenGL. Python and PyOpenGL may be a good alternative if you're not a strong programmer yet.

If you have a compiler, most come with GL headers (or possibly in a fairly accessible download).

My recommendation is to start making a simple OpenGL application. At the risk of self-promotion, my Introduction to OpenGL Programming covers the basics of making a working cross-platform OpenGL 2 program (using SDL as a backend). It's about 100 lines long (mostly comments) and is intended exactly for people needing to get started with a minimum of fuss.

Ok thanks alot for your help i will look into this and ye i was looking into SDL earlier today

I've been learning c++ and now i'm interested to what it would take to start a basic 3d game engine. Few questions then:

1. would it be good to have c++ & opengl

2. Is there any specific software i need or downloads

3. Where would i start

4. Is there any good tutorials which could start me of

Thanks for any help in advance

Right here's what I did.

1. Yes.
2. Go and get GLEW ( google ) and GLM ( google it ). GLEW is me assuming you're using Windows, GLM is capable of basically all your geometry-based math, so you'll want to use that.

3. You start with your first triangle and then you do a crash course on matrices - this is standard opating procedure :)

4. My favourites are:
- www.rastertek.com. For like, almost everything.
- www.opengl-tutorial.com for everything

Back to 3: Go to opengl-tut site and do the first few, then go to rastertek and do the opengl 4.0 terrain tutorials. After a month or two you'll have something awesome to look at. :)

I'd recommend avoiding fixed function pipeline and getting straight onto learning how VBOs, VAOs, and UBOs work too.. you'd be using similar concepts if you were doing this in DX11

I'd recommend avoiding fixed function pipeline and getting straight onto learning how VBOs, VAOs, and UBOs work too.. you'd be using similar concepts if you were doing this in DX11

While I also recommend not putting too much work into learning the fixed pipeline stuff, don't ignore it completely. Also, it might be overwhelming for beginners right off the bat.

I recommend starting here while working your way up into the programmable pipeline with a few "bonus" lessons:

http://www.swiftless.com/glsltuts.html

http://www.codesampler.com/oglsrc.htm

I learned quite a bit myself from these sites. Personally, I'd recommend learning the basics of the programmable pipeline before looking at some old (but still useful) tutorials from NeHe to avoid the redundant and obsolete stuff.

Shogun

Personally, I'd recommend learning the basics of the programmable pipeline before looking at some old (but still useful) tutorials from NeHe to avoid the redundant and obsolete stuff.

Definitely a good idea.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement