• Create Account

Starting/Setup DirectX with Visual Studio 2012 for Desktop?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 Rayphoenix   Members   -  Reputation: 122

0Likes

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:52 AM

Has anyone ever tried to code directX in visual studio 2012 for Desktop app ?

Can anyone help me with how to start it ? I have been searching everywhere but with no luck.. I only know that DirectX SDK is now part of the Windows SDK in VS2012, so there is no need to download additional thing to start using directX..

Just for clarification: I am talking about DirectX for desktop app, NOT windows 8 store app.. smile.png

in VS2012 for windows 8 store app, there is this option to start directX Project:

Spoiler

But in VS2012 for Desktop app, there is no such option:

Spoiler

So what should I do ? sad.png

Edited by Rayphoenix, 16 February 2013 - 05:54 AM.

Sponsor:

#2 Jason Z   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4843

2Likes

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:10 AM

Normally when I get started, it is just with an empty project.  Then I add the needed include directories and library dependencies based on one of the sample programs for the particular target that I am working on.  In this case, you could check out Hieroglyph 3, then just examine the settings for the project and set the ones that are generic for all projects.

This may seem like a hassle (which it is, to be honest) but I also find that it is very informative for one to be able to know precisely which settings are relevant to the project that you are working on.  You get lots of background information that you otherwise wouldn't get if you were working from a wizard generated project file...

If you have any questions on the process, just let me/us know and we can guide you through the issues!

#3 DaDweeDow   Members   -  Reputation: 133

0Likes

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:18 AM

I just did this a couple weeks ago, switched IDE's later but it was working fine.  I just installed the directx sdk and started a win32 project, i think i may have allowed it to autogenerate some of the windows start up code, but the process wasn't too different from starting an empty project.  Just add in the directx libs, lib directory, and include directory in the solution properties and you are all set to go.  I think the moving of directx into the standard sdk is only true of the sdk for windows 8, which I couldn't use anyway since I don't have windows 8.  

#4 Jason Z   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4843

0Likes

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:20 AM

I just did this a couple weeks ago, switched IDE's later but it was working fine.  I just installed the directx sdk and started a win32 project, i think i may have allowed it to autogenerate some of the windows start up code, but the process wasn't too different from starting an empty project.  Just add in the directx libs, lib directory, and include directory in the solution properties and you are all set to go.  I think the moving of directx into the standard sdk is only true of the sdk for windows 8, which I couldn't use anyway since I don't have windows 8.  

Actually the VS2012 installer will provide the Windows 8 SDK, which already includes the old DirectX SDK content.  So no additional installations of the SDK are required.

#5 DaDweeDow   Members   -  Reputation: 133

0Likes

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:27 AM

Actually the VS2012 installer will provide the Windows 8 SDK, which already includes the old DirectX SDK content.  So no additional installations of the SDK are required.

Ah ok, must have just assumed it wasn't in there then, as I do seem to have it on the hard drive, and I wouldn't have bothered installing it explicitly.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS