• Create Account

Splitting up Spritesheets

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
6 replies to this topic

#1 RedLynx   Members   -  Reputation: 122

0Likes

Posted 17 February 2013 - 03:33 AM

Hey Everyone

This is my first thread one this wonderful forum. i have mucked around with game development for about 5 or 6 years but i have never done anything serious or fulling completed a game project. this time i have been getting serious and learning C++ i intend to use OpenGL and SDL. and i also intend to build the engine from scratch. The game is going to use sprites and tiles so my question to you guys for now is how would i go about splitting up the spritesheets into an imaginary grid within the engine.

Cheers. :P

Sponsor:

#2 C0lumbo   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2162

0Likes

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:06 AM

I usually do it the other way around and build up sprite sheets from individual images with a custom tool. As well as building up larger textures, the tool also saves out the locations of all the original tiles which I can then use in my engine.

If you're really needing to approach it from the other direction and are splitting up a large sprite sheet, then it depends whether it's organised into a regular grid or not. If it's a regular grid then it's just a bit of maths required to calculate UVs. If it's not regular, then I think you're heading toward a big hardcoded table of UV coordinates.

#3 renderhjs   Members   -  Reputation: 117

3Likes

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:18 AM

I would go with a sprite sheet, which is the most compact way of storing frame sequences or individual sprites into 1 big texture sheet. There are several tools (commercial and free) out there that can create such a sprite sheet for you, like:

http://www.zwopple.com/zwoptex/

http://www.codeandweb.com/texturepacker

A free tool that I wrote is ShoeBox

http://renderhjs.net/shoebox/

It has 3 related tools that can do those things

Sprite packing
Packs multiple images, SWF files (AS1, AS2 or AS3) or animated GIF animation's into one texture Atlas

Animation to Sheet
Converts a animated GIF or SWF (AS1, AS2 or AS3) into a sprite sheet with an array of frames. You could go with this if you want even rows and column sizes, which is usually easier to implement in the game engine.

Extract Sprites
Detects sprites in a transparent image and cuts them out. This is useful if you have a sprite sheet or asset that contains already several sprites but want to separate them into single image files.

#4 RedLynx   Members   -  Reputation: 122

0Likes

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:20 AM

I never really thought about doing it the other way around?

I had an idea in my head of having the the sheet in a regular grid then splitting it up in the engine somehow then give each grid square a coordinate.

and wow i never know tools like that existed renderhjs. i guess i didn't look around enough. 

this information does clarify things thanks guys

Edited by RedLynx, 17 February 2013 - 04:23 AM.

#5 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 18117

0Likes

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:09 AM

A number of years ago, I wrote a set of functions for using spritesheets in SDL - you can find them here.

It works like this:
SDL_Tileset *tileset = SDL_LoadTileset("tileset.png", 50, 50, 1, 3, 3, 2);
SDL_DrawTile(35, 200, tileset, /* Tile # */ 1, screen);
SDL_DrawTile(100, 200, tileset, /* Tile # */ 2, screen);
SDL_DrawTile(100, 100, tileset, /* Tile # */ 15, screen);
Works with tilesheets or spritesheets.

Edited by Servant of the Lord, 17 February 2013 - 11:09 AM.

It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.

[Fly with me on Twitter] [Google+] [My broken website]

All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.                                                                                                                                                            [Need web hosting? I personally like A Small Orange]
Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal

#6 RedLynx   Members   -  Reputation: 122

0Likes

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:38 AM

A number of years ago, I wrote a set of functions for using spritesheets in SDL

Thanks this helps a lot :D

#7 Ussyless   Members   -  Reputation: 142

0Likes

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:13 PM

my simple game engine i'm working on has 2 image handling classes, one is i think g_spritesheet and the other is g_material or something along those lines, you can load stuff into spritesheet, specify a cell size, then load images into the other  based on xx yy -- the xxth tile from the left and the yyth tile from the top, aswell, optionally telling it how many cells to take from

-it's not a great implementation, and i will probably combine the classes at one point and have g_material able to handle the functions

anyhow, the spritesheet is structured like this 

{

GLuint tex;
	GLubyte *data;

ILuint iltex;
public:
	bool loaded;
	unsigned int w;
	unsigned int h;
	unsigned int gridsize;
	g_spritesheet(){loaded=0;};
	g_spritesheet(char*,GLuint);
	g_spritesheet(char*);
	void load (char*,GLuint);
	GLuint getimage();
	GLuint getsprite(unsigned short,unsigned short);
	GLuint getsprite(unsigned short,unsigned short,unsigned short,unsigned short);
	void draw (int x, int y);
};

and the materials (its actually g_texture)

class g_texture
{
private:
	char* name;
	ILuint iltex;
	GLubyte *data;
	GLuint tex;
	float xoffset, yoffset;
	int w, h;
public:
	bool loaded;
	g_texture(char* nam, bool unused)
	{
		name=nam;
		tex=0; w=0; h=1; loaded=0;
		xoffset=0;
		yoffset=0;
	}
	g_texture()
	{
		tex=0; w=0; h=1; loaded=0;
		xoffset=0;
		yoffset=0;
	}
	g_texture(char*);
	bool compchars(char*);
	void load(char*);
	void load(g_spritesheet*,GLuint,GLuint);
	void load(g_spritesheet*);
	void draw(int,int); //int x, int y
	void draw(int,int,float);//x, y, dir
	void setoffset(float,float);
};

i'll probably redo both of these classes as i know what im doing a bit better now, but i hope it gives you an idea

if you want better explanation, just ask in this thread

if you want more code from my system, just send me a msg

edit: oh also these use PNG's loaded by DevIL

Edited by Ussyless, 18 February 2013 - 12:15 PM.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS