• Create Account

We're offering banner ads on our site from just $5!

1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Deferred Shading directx11 tutorial

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
5 replies to this topic

#1 gnomgrol   Members   -  Reputation: 622

0Likes

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:55 AM

Hello there,

I was recently wondering how to implement multiple pointlights and I found that deferred shading is the best method for my case. I found explanations on how it is suppost to work and what the pros and cons are, but I can't seem to find a good tutorial on how to implement this in directx 11. Do you have any links or stuff on this? Some code maybe? 

Lots of Thanks!

Sponsor:

#2 Jason Z   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 5284

3Likes

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:18 PM

The Hieroglyph 3 codebase has a deferred rendering sample, as well as a light pre-pass if you are interested.  The full description of how it works is available in our book (linked in my signature) but the code is freely downloadable and usable without purchasing anything.

#3 MJP   Moderators   -  Reputation: 11736

2Likes

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:29 PM

The samples in the Hieroglyph 3 repository are probably the simplest and easiest to understand, since I wrote those specifically for people who hadn't ever worked with deferred rendering. Intel also has a sample demonstrating a variety of deferred rendering techniques, but the techniques presented are quite advanced so you probably won't want to look at that sample until you've at least learned the basics. I also wrote a sample for the purpose of comparing two advanced deferred rendering techniques, which is also something you'll probably want to save for later.

#4 ray_intellect   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 258

0Likes

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:38 PM

I took a look at the link and tbh I think Hieroglyph 3 looks very well written and there is a lot of useful code for anyone learning DX11. Also it has the MIT license.

Keep up the good work.

I didn't realize Kinect would run on PC ...

Edited by ray_intellect, 17 February 2013 - 09:40 PM.

#5 gnomgrol   Members   -  Reputation: 622

0Likes

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:16 AM

Thanks for your help, I'll look into it!

#6 Jason Z   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 5284

0Likes

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:17 AM

I took a look at the link and tbh I think Hieroglyph 3 looks very well written and there is a lot of useful code for anyone learning DX11. Also it has the MIT license.

Keep up the good work.

I didn't realize Kinect would run on PC ...

Thanks for the comment - I appreciate any feedback I can get.  And yes, the Kinect can run on the PC - it is a pretty cool toy to play with once you get your hands on the data streams :)

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS