• Create Account

sdl error

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jaey   Members   -  Reputation: 117

0Likes

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:56 PM

hi,

I keep having this error:

cannot open this source file

#include <SDL/SDL.h>

what to do pls?

Edited by Jaey, 17 February 2013 - 01:57 PM.

Sponsor:

#2 rip-off   Moderators   -  Reputation: 8721

0Likes

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:56 PM

Do you have an SDL development environment set up on your system? What IDE/toolchain/operating system are you using?

#3 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 20990

0Likes

Posted 17 February 2013 - 03:46 PM

Did you add SDL's headers to your compiler's include path?

When you do #include "another file", your compiler looks for 'another file' in a series of locations, and if it can't find the file in any of those locations, it gives an error.

The locations depend on what compiler you are using, but mine goes something like this:

1. Checks in the same directory as the file doing the include
  2. Checks in the root of the project being compiled
  3. Checks any other user-defined include directories that the compiler was told to search
  4. Checks the compiler's include directory (actually, there are several include directories the compiler has built-in, and it searches them in order)

I might have the order wrong, but it checks all those locations in some order or another, until it finds the file it is looking for.

If using '<' and '>' brackets, like #include <file>, the compiler I use checks the compiler's include directory first (usually the standard library headers).

So, if you are wanting to use SDL, you'll need to:

A) Link to SDL, using the linker file (the exact details depend on your IDE)

B) Make sure the DLL files are either in your operating system's %PATH% environmental variable, or else alongside your executable.

C) Add SDL's include files either in the compiler's include directory, or else add a user-defined include directory.

I suggest starting with Lazy Foo's SDL tutorials - they'll walk you through how to get SDL up and running with a custom tutorial for whatever IDE you use. The entire tutorial is an excellent introduction to SDL, in my opinion.

It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.
All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.
Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal

[Fly with me on Twitter] [Google+] [My broken website]

[Need web hosting? I personally like A Small Orange]

#4 adt7   Members   -  Reputation: 434

0Likes

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:17 AM

In addition to all of the above points, the standard and most "cross-platform" way to include SDL is:

#include "SDL.h"

Rather than:

#include <SDL/SDL.h>

#5 Jaey   Members   -  Reputation: 117

0Likes

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:03 AM

In addition to all of the above points, the standard and most "cross-platform" way to include SDL is:

#include "SDL.h"

Rather than:

#include <SDL/SDL.h>

thanks a lot. that seems to have been the issue. Thanks againsmile.png

Edited by Jaey, 18 February 2013 - 09:04 AM.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS