• Create Account

Interested in a FREE copy of HTML5 game maker Construct 2?

We'll be giving away three Personal Edition licences in next Tuesday's GDNet Direct email newsletter!

Sign up from the right-hand sidebar on our homepage and read Tuesday's newsletter for details!

We're also offering banner ads on our site from just $5! 1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Use of art in a GDD

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

#1 NickMcG   Members   -  Reputation: 103

0Likes

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:37 AM

Hi all, 

I am new here i'm nick and i want to be a game designer cool.png

So to get to my question after that small intro,

I would like to know if i am allowed to include a blank xbox 360 box template with stuff i've put on it,for 

my game design document. For the purpose of putting it in my portfolio to send to a game studio

for a job.

Would i be breaking any laws/ copyrighted material

Thanks any help is appreciated 

Nick

Sponsor:

#2 Tom Sloper   Moderators   -  Reputation: 10062

2Likes

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:10 AM

I would like to know if i am allowed to include a blank xbox 360 box template with stuff i've put on it,for
my game design document. For the purpose of putting it in my portfolio to send to a game studio
for a job.
Would i be breaking any laws/ copyrighted material

Nick,
Microsoft's legal eagles might not love it if you mock up a product package that Microsoft hasn't approved, but I don't imagine you'd get in much trouble for that.

However...

1. It's not necessary, or standard practice, to put your intended package art in a GDD.  You're not applying for a job as a packaging graphic artist, are you?

2. The real problem is submitting a GDD in the first place.  Publishers usually don't want to look at game designs unless there's a signed submission agreement in place, and most publishers don't accept submissions from non-professionals. 
http://sloperama.com/advice/jobapp.htm
http://sloperama.com/advice/lesson11.htm

-- Tom Sloper
Sloperama Productions
Making games fun and getting them done.
www.sloperama.com

Please do not PM me. My email address is easy to find, but note that I do not give private advice.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS