• Create Account

Javascript vs Flash vs Unity

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
10 replies to this topic

#1 MBrain   Members   -  Reputation: 104

0Likes

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:37 PM

We are 3 students who interested in game development. We want to develop game for both mobile and desktop(for browsers). Which way we should start? Javascript, flash or unity? Can you recommend frameworks for js or flash? 

Sponsor:

#2 Kylotan   Moderators   -  Reputation: 3338

2Likes

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:51 PM

I'd recommend Unity, unless you're going for a 2D game, in which case I'd recommend Flash (with either the Flixel or Flashpunk libraries).

#3 MBrain   Members   -  Reputation: 104

0Likes

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:01 PM

Kylotan thanks for answer, we want to start with 2D.I will have look at flixel and flashpunk

#4 Sudi   Members   -  Reputation: 706

0Likes

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:07 PM

Isn't flash banned from mobile devices...or lets say not available?

#5 MBrain   Members   -  Reputation: 104

0Likes

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:16 PM

Kylotan,  Flixel and Flashpunk havent been updated for 2 years.

#6 MrDaaark   Members   -  Reputation: 3551

0Likes

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:20 PM

Try LibGDX. It targets iOS, Android, browser, and desktop.

#7 Kylotan   Moderators   -  Reputation: 3338

0Likes

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:17 PM

MBrain, the quality of software is not necessarily proportional to how recently it was updated. In fact, the opposite is sometimes true - regular updates could indicate lots of bug fixes in a codebase of generally poor quality.

I recommend Flashpunk and Flixel because they are quite stable, proven to work well, and there are decent communities behind them.

I also don't think it matters too much because skills acquired with one technology can be transferred elsewhere fairly easily.

#8 blackpawn   Members   -  Reputation: 193

0Likes

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:42 PM

hmm not sure flash and javascript are good routes if you're targeting mobile.  desktops are crazy powerful enough to yield decent performance with javascript games but mobile devices are much more constrained and less room for inefficiencies.  of the options you listed, i'd go for Unity and give your players a nice steady frame rate :)

#9 MrDaaark   Members   -  Reputation: 3551

0Likes

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:08 PM

Flash was discontinued on Android, and doesn't exist on Apple. Which is a good thing.

#10 Buey   Members   -  Reputation: 101

0Likes

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:54 AM

There are some nice 2D game tools for Unity.  Don't discount it just yet!

#11 khos   Members   -  Reputation: 196

1Likes

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:37 PM

Adobe AIR is how "Flash" games are written for IOS and Android. The same AS3 code is used to target either platform.

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/air/air_for_ios.html

http://www.adobe.com/inspire-archive/august2010/articles/article1/index.html

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS