• Create Account

What GUI Toolkit Would Be Best For My Game Editor?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
16 replies to this topic

#1 Toothpix   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 810

0Likes

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:36 AM

I am starting today on my game editor, and one of the first things I am doing is choosing what GUI toolkit I should use. I would really like if it was cross-platform and based on C, which is what my whole project is written in. I just need to have a few things to display the contents of a database, adjust values, have a utility bar, and have a place to show a representation of the game world as it is being built. What are your favorites, and do you have suggestions and/or advice?

C dominates the world of linear procedural computing, which won't advance. The future lies in MASSIVE parallelism.

Sponsor:

#2 ultramailman   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 1557

0Likes

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:56 PM

Here you go
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_widget_toolkits#Based_on_C_.28including_bindings_to_other_languages.29

GTK is pretty common on linux, so maybe that?

#3 Toothpix   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 810

0Likes

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:09 PM

Have you used it? Which one do you recommend? Why?

C dominates the world of linear procedural computing, which won't advance. The future lies in MASSIVE parallelism.

#4 Bearhugger   Members   -  Reputation: 530

3Likes

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:54 PM

If you're limiting yourself to C and want it to be cross-platform, I think GTK+ is the way to go. High-profile programs like the GIMP and (apparently) Firefox use it so it sounds very mature and stable.

#5 ultramailman   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 1557

1Likes

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:05 PM

Have you used it? Which one do you recommend? Why?

I have not used GTK+ before. In fact, I have no experience with GUI programming. However, I have noticed a majority of programs on linux uses GTK+ or QT. Qt is C++, so that leaves GTK+. And like what Bearhugger said, GIMP is an example of a program that uses GTK+. Take a look at that to see if you like it.

#6 Amr0   Members   -  Reputation: 1030

-2Likes

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:54 AM

I'm working on an editor for an engine, and I'm using the win32 API! I swear I'm not lying! I can't prove even to myself that I'm not crazy though.

I'll quote a previous post of myself for my opinion and experience with the API.

I'm one of the few that actually don't hate the win32 GUI API. It's object-oriented, light-weight (compared to the alternatives), it's native, and it has a rich set of controls. On the other hand, it's a C API, it's not easy to get into for lack of comprehensive introductory documentation, MS did not include a designer with the free versions of VS, and it's not so popular these days. But it's a very powerful library once you get your head around how it works and how to write your own custom controls, and most importantly, it's native, so you wouldn't have to deal with all that interop bulls**t to have the editor work with your native graphics engine, and you wouldn't have to learn C#/VB if you don't already know them.

Anyway, whether you end up using it or something else is up to you, and I wouldn't blame you for turning to another library, but maybe what you're aiming to accomplish isn't really that difficult to make in win32. From your description, a thin wrapper library like win32++ sounds like a perfect fit for your needs. It has lots of samples to start from.

lsed_gdss.jpg

#7 Toothpix   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 810

0Likes

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:52 AM

@Amr0     Something tells me that that is not a screenshot of your editor...

Edited by MrJoshL, 24 February 2013 - 07:54 AM.

#8 TheChubu   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3709

0Likes

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:03 AM

Tell me more about your editor Amr0, it looks interesting.

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

#9 Amr0   Members   -  Reputation: 1030

0Likes

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:46 AM

It is. It's not my engine though if that's what you mean...

Tell me more about your editor Amr0, it looks interesting.

It's a work in progress. I've already mentioned it's being made using the Win32 API. Anything specific you want to know more about? Also, what's with the down-votes? I have reviewed what I have posted and I can't seem to find anything objectionable!!!??!

Edited by Amr0, 24 February 2013 - 11:49 AM.

#10 TheChubu   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3709

0Likes

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:13 PM

Yep, the flowcharts. Do you use a 3rd party library for them? I have no idea about the Win32 API :D

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

#11 Amr0   Members   -  Reputation: 1030

2Likes

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:20 PM

I call it the node graph editor. It's a custom win32 control/window, but it uses DX9 for drawing for maximum responsiveness, but that's it, no third party libraries. Currently it does all its drawing using simple shapes (rectangles and lines) and a single texture for the plugs, so it looks plain. But I wanted to make sure it's functional before looking into making it look good.

#12 Aiive   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 635

1Likes

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:35 AM

MrJoshL, on 24 Feb 2013 - 08:57, said:

Sorry for the broken quote but the reason for the down votes, and going out on a limb here, is the fact the top of the window it says very clearly L. Spiro Engine Editor. Many of the users of this site know L. Spiro has made many posts related to his engine in development. It came across at first that you were stating the everything in the image was made entirely by yourself. The title of the window sorta comes across as being the complete opposite.

While you state the engine is not yours we as forum readers are not aware if you and L. Spiro are working together/sharing builds of the engine. As far as I was aware his engine has not been released for the general public to use. I hope this offers a little bit of understanding why you were down voted.

Sorry for the post not being on topic I just figured no one was going to answer why they down voted him. smile.png

Edited by iheartyyouxo, 25 February 2013 - 11:36 AM.

#13 Amr0   Members   -  Reputation: 1030

-1Likes

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:15 PM

MrJoshL, on 24 Feb 2013 - 08:57, said:

Sorry for the broken quote but the reason for the down votes, and going out on a limb here, is the fact the top of the window it says very clearly L. Spiro Engine Editor. Many of the users of this site know L. Spiro has made many posts related to his engine in development. It came across at first that you were stating the everything in the image was made entirely by yourself. The title of the window sorta comes across as being the complete opposite.

While you state the engine is not yours we as forum readers are not aware if you and L. Spiro are working together/sharing builds of the engine. As far as I was aware his engine has not been released for the general public to use. I hope this offers a little bit of understanding why you were down voted.

Sorry for the post not being on topic I just figured no one was going to answer why they down voted him. smile.png

Aha! Thanks for taking the time to clarify.

Actually, everything in the image was indeed made by myself, despite the title of the window. However, I posted the screenshot as an example of what can be accomplished using the win32 API, and nothing more. It did not occur to me that people would even care whether it was made by me or not. I mean it's just a textured sphere! Anyway, an up-vote for you, kind sir.

#14 deekr   Members   -  Reputation: 191

2Likes

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:41 AM

I've used clutter before for school and playing around with creating widgets:

http://blogs.gnome.org/clutter/about/

Fun to work with, based on C (+ gobject), cross-platform, lot's of language bindings (vala, c++, javascript, etc...)...

#15 Toothpix   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 810

0Likes

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:12 PM

I have, since posting, switched fully to a Linux-based environment, so now I am using GCC, GTK+, Valgrind, and all of the other great things associated with Linux.

#16 ultramailman   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 1557

1Likes

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:48 PM

Ah, good for you. What made you decide to do this?

#17 Toothpix   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 810

0Likes

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:12 AM

Ah, good for you. What made you decide to do this?

Well, I've always wanted to, but now I was just pushed over the edge by all of the headaches of Windows, and also the things that are on Linux and not Windows. At least in Linux you can customize the kernel modules, disable GUI, not need quite as much code to set up a window with a 3D renderer, and a lot of other things.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS