• Create Account

We need your feedback on a survey! Each completed response supports our community and gives you a chance to win a $25 Amazon gift card!

Selling the rights to my game/company?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
5 replies to this topic

#1 ParticleGames   Members   -  Reputation: 112

0Likes

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:48 PM

I've developed an iPhone game under my company, Wolverine Games LLC. My iPhone developer program is about to run out, and I don't want to pay the $99 to rejoin, so I decided that I want to sell the rights to my game/company, depending on which one is easier or is more profitable.

Unfortunately, I have no idea where to start. I understand it is an ignorant question, but could someone lead me in the right direction here?

Sponsor:

#2 Tom Sloper   Moderators   -  Reputation: 10179

0Likes

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:45 PM

You need to network. A lot. Go to a lot of business mixers and game industry events.

-- Tom Sloper
Sloperama Productions
Making games fun and getting them done.
www.sloperama.com

Please do not PM me. My email address is easy to find, but note that I do not give private advice.

#3 frob   Moderators   -  Reputation: 22849

0Likes

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:58 PM

So you have something that you personally value at less than $100 and you are hoping somebody who knows less about it will value it more?

There are certainly many people with more money than sense, and perhaps you could convince some of them, but honestly if you don't want it why should they?

Check out my book, Game Development with Unity, aimed at beginners who want to build fun games fast.

Also check out my personal website at bryanwagstaff.com, where I write about assorted stuff.

#4 tboxx   Members   -  Reputation: 159

0Likes

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:56 PM

Do you need the Iphone developer program to work on the game?

#5 ParticleGames   Members   -  Reputation: 112

0Likes

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:53 AM

I most definitely do not value it at $100. It's the maintenance that's killer, so it would be better off in someone else's hands. And yes you do need the program to work on the game. Which leads me to think that I can't necessarily sell the company or the game, but possibly the rights to all of the game's resources. I have found some information on this, so this seems to be the most feasible route.

#6 bschmidt1962   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1879

0Likes

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:28 PM

Which leads me to think that I can't necessarily sell the company or the game, but possibly the rights to all of the game's resources.

Most likely your company and the existing game are worth more than just the game's resources (code, art, etc.).  Presuming you have decent game sales, your company's value is ["game/brand recognition" + income from game - overhead needed to maintain the game].

Without your company and (existing) game, you don't have the two positive terms in that equation.

Put another way-- the game as it exists on the App Store is generating sales and is known.  If all I have is the assets to clone the game, then I would have to make it and release it as yet another unknown game in the app store and start from square one

Have you valued your company?  How much would you buy it for?

One way to do that is to look at it like a cold, hard investment.  If someone paid $1000 for your game/company, what income would the game produce (how many game sales/week do you have or in-game purchases, ad revenue, etc.).  Then subtract $$ it would take to hire someone part-time to maintain the game--fix bugs, etc and continue to support customers, pay the web site fees and annual Apple fee, etc.  If that results in $20/month, then you'll probably have few takes (since it would take 50 months to recoup).  If however, the game were generating $200/month, then it might be interesting to someone..

Good luck! 

Brian Schmidt

Executive Director, GameSoundCon:

GameSoundCon 2014:October 7-8, Los Angeles, CA

Founder, EarGames

Founder, Brian Schmidt Studios, LLC

Music Composition & Sound Design

Audio Technology Consultant

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS