• Create Account

Starting a game

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 Falkian   Members   -  Reputation: 115

0Likes

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:24 PM

Hi everyone! I'm a new user here but i've been reading you for a time. I know there are a lot of topics about this so sorry if I'm redundant. 

I want to make a game, i've decided i'll be using C++ with SDL, it will be a 2D scroller and I have an idea of the story.

So I want advices please!!!

Thanks everyone!

Edit: I've just realized this should be in "For begginers", and I don't know how to delete or move the post, sorry.

Edited by Falkian, 23 February 2013 - 07:11 PM.

Sponsor:

#2 ZeroBeat   Members   -  Reputation: 511

1Likes

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:04 AM

Hi,

I am not really sure how experianced you are but this is one way:

- I would start by getting an image on the screen. Then moving it arround. Next get some enemies in. Get some basic collision in. and so on.

Ie build the game in small concrete steps. 

Later as things work, some refactoring may be needed but at least the game works. Much better than being stuck in design stage and pre-mature optimisation with nothing to show.

Here is a really infomative guide about different ways to implement a 2D platformer: http://higherorderfun.com/blog/2012/05/20/the-guide-to-implementing-2d-platformers/

Also there is the lazyfoo  tutorials which can help if you are wondering how to do something in SDL. here is the link: http://lazyfoo.net/SDL_tutorials/index.php

Edited by ZeroBeat, 24 February 2013 - 08:06 AM.

#3 warnexus   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 1367

1Likes

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:57 AM

Agreed with ZeroBeat. If you never worked on a C++ game, start small and work your way up. I would not worry even about the story for the moment. Just get the bells and whistles up and working. How to move an image, basic collision detection, sounds.

You are a programmer. You want to solve as many problems  for the game.

#4 Falkian   Members   -  Reputation: 115

0Likes

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:39 PM

I'm following Lazy Foo's tutorials and for the moment I have a little menu and some images and music. I've tried to do an animation before having the image moving, but it seems that wasn't a good idea (i'm stuck at that) so I'll do as you say: step by step. I'wont try to make the roof without having the wallswink.png

Thanks!!!

#5 Ludus   Members   -  Reputation: 928

0Likes

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:39 PM

Similar to Lazyfoo's tutorials, you could try Tim's tutorials at http://www.sdltutorials.com/

I find his tutorials easier to follow than Lazyfoo's, both because of his naming conventions he uses in the code as well as the detailed explanations he gives for everything happening in the code. Also, his tutorials are based around creating a simple 2d sidescroller, which should suit your needs perfectly.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS