• Create Account

A good OpenGL ES 2.0 book for Android + Java?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
5 replies to this topic

#1 Alessio1989   Members   -  Reputation: 2134

0Likes

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:09 AM

I'm following a Uni course about mobile and tablet programming and I need a good book about OpenGL ES 2.0 for beginners (and maybe a little intermediate topics too).

The book should preferably use Java and Android as Language and OS environment since other languages (like C or C++) and other mobile OS are not covered on the course.

I have a little background on D3D1x programming, so I don't need a book telling me the low-level aspect of general 2D/3D programming (2d/3d matrix, translations, wha't a vertex etc...).

What I'm searching is a book telling me how to use (and how it work) OpenGL ES 2.0 with Java + Android environment (2.2 version and later... I have a lot of freedom to choose the OS version for the project), what are the frameworks (if there are any in the OS, otherwise I will use 3rd part tools... unity?) etc..

The book should have some (little) working project too as example and finally I don't need a 100% reference of the API.

+1 kudos if the book is available on electronic format too (better in PDF)  cool.png  

PS:sorry if I posted in the wrong forum. tongue.png

Edited by Alessio1989, 24 February 2013 - 08:03 AM.

"Software does not run in a magical fairy aether powered by the fevered dreams of CS PhDs"

Sponsor:

#2 Toothpix   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 810

1Likes

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:56 AM

The OpenGL ES 2.0 Programming Guide. If you don't want to buy the physical version, Amazon sells a PC/Kindle version.

C dominates the world of linear procedural computing, which won't advance. The future lies in MASSIVE parallelism.

#3 Alessio1989   Members   -  Reputation: 2134

0Likes

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:02 AM

Thank you for the suggestion, but that book uses C/C++ :/

"Software does not run in a magical fairy aether powered by the fevered dreams of CS PhDs"

#4 Toothpix   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 810

1Likes

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:06 AM

OpenGL ES 2.0 only works with C/C++ natively. You will have to learn the JNI wrappers provided by Android which are quite different indeed.

C dominates the world of linear procedural computing, which won't advance. The future lies in MASSIVE parallelism.

#5 Alessio1989   Members   -  Reputation: 2134

0Likes

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:22 AM

I see, I appreciate you clarification (I will start the course next week, so I don't have quite any notion on Android OS)...

Are there any good books about that? (I'm talking about Android Java wrappers for Ogl ES)

Second question: is Unity for Android reasonably easy and quick to learn for basic things?

I don't need to do special things or extra-cool stuffs and I don't have the time to learn them (it's only a 6-credit course - European measurement ) , just simple things with a minimal of usage (very small games like tetris or something like it in 3D, or a little more, or just some easy render for other small applications).

Edited by Alessio1989, 24 February 2013 - 08:29 AM.

#6 Alessio1989   Members   -  Reputation: 2134

0Likes

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:32 AM

I found "Beginning Android Games 2nd Edition" (does it worth?), but it seems to cover OGL ES 1.x and not 2.0, and secondly I'm not a big fan of Apress books (maybe 'cause I don't like the  C/C++ books they publish... Yes, I prefer more Heckel's and Stroustrup's styles)..

I would like to find an OpenGL ES 2.0 book that uses Java since I could love to "play" with a more programmable pipeline (1.x version should have more fixed function for what I read) and having a book that directly show the API with JAVA and Android will help me a lot since I don't have a lot of time this semester.

Edit: what about "Game and Graphics Programming for IOS and Android with OpenGL ES 2.0" ? 

Edited by Alessio1989, 25 February 2013 - 01:47 AM.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS