• Create Account

* * * * * 1 votes

What's everyone doing with Angelscript!

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
15 replies to this topic

#1 bollµ   Members   -  Reputation: 354

2Likes

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:56 AM

Hi all!

Being pretty new to programming (and Angelscript in general), I'm wondering for what purposes everyone's using Angelscript :)

I've been using it for around 3-4 months now for my 2d game engine.

What about you guys?

a WIP 2d game engine: https://code.google.com/p/modulusengine/

English is not my first language, so do feel free to correct me :)

Sponsor:

#2 ikam   Members   -  Reputation: 134

0Likes

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:41 AM

Hi

I'm new to Angelscript too (and many years of c++), and it's the first time I use a script language so I can't compare it to another, but I'm totally satisfied of this one.

I'm searching a script engine for my 3D tool to manage some game logic and some animations,  I'm very happy of the result, it works perfectly and it is very fast, so thanks to Andreas Jonsson ;)

here a presentation of my project : http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=48064&p=276937#p276937

#3 Tzarls   Members   -  Reputation: 916

1Likes

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:48 AM

I´m working on a graphicall programming system. Here´s a couple of videos showing what I´ve got so far:

The las video shows AS running on a Raspberry Pi, an ARM/Linux based system.

#4 Andreas Jonsson   Moderators   -  Reputation: 3445

0Likes

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:51 PM

Well, AngelScript is my project so I don't really use it in the sense your asking for, but I do have a 2d game engine to try out some things with, and there is also the old texture generator that I wrote using an early version of AngelScript. 

You may also see some other uses of AngelScript here: Applications using AngelScript.

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

#5 bollµ   Members   -  Reputation: 354

0Likes

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:00 AM

thanks for the list Andreas!

#6 Isaac Paul   Members   -  Reputation: 189

0Likes

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:38 AM

I'm using it as the scripting language for my 2d game engine. 

#7 Grimshaw   Members   -  Reputation: 655

0Likes

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:56 PM

Hey! 

I use AngelScript for a large amount of months already. I use it as the scripting engine for my game engine, running on every platform. It features a powerful scripting API for making awesome games that run immediately in all browsers(like FLASH), all desktop platforms , android and iOS :)

Indie Game Developer - Daeva Theory Studios

Twitter - Facebook

Next

Terra - rise of mankind

Previous

SFML Game Development (Book)

#8 AgentC   Members   -  Reputation: 1414

4Likes

Posted 09 March 2013 - 09:39 AM

AngelScript is the scripting language of choice in my 3D game/rendering engine Urho3D http://urho3d.googlecode.com , where most of the C++ objects and functions are exposed to script, except low-level access like direct modification of vertex buffer or texture data.

The performance, especially in recent AngelScript versions, is very impressive. In an Urho3D example game I had an unintended O(n^2) algorithm going on in script without noticing it at first. Basically, each AI enemy was scanning the whole scene for new targets each physics/logic frame (at 100fps), which is of course stupid. But that still worked for up to 50 enemies. After changing it to cache the last found target it can run a lot more enemies smile.png

Every time you add a boolean member variable, God kills a kitten. Every time you create a Manager class, God kills a kitten. Every time you create a Singleton...

Urho3D (engine)  Hessian (C64 game project)

#9 thd.MM   Members   -  Reputation: 208

2Likes

Posted 24 March 2013 - 02:20 AM

smile.png

#10 bollµ   Members   -  Reputation: 354

0Likes

Posted 06 April 2013 - 08:08 AM

Wow, I'm impressed as hell :D 

#11 Oscar1   Members   -  Reputation: 115

2Likes

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:20 PM

I am working on a nodal graphical software Photo-Reactor and after three days of messing with the angelscript, I am 100% positive this will become a great part of the software.

I previously contemplated to write my own bytecode interpreter as nothing I found was suitable and I need both 32 and 64 bit version. I am absolutely glad I spent the time looking around, the angelscript is exactly what I was after. Big kudos to Andreas. The angelscript is a beast. What I love the most is that it is c/c++ syntax and it is brilliantly plug-and-play.

More about the project:

http://www.mediachance.com/reactor/index.html

interface4.jpg

#12 Andreas Jonsson   Moderators   -  Reputation: 3445

0Likes

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:36 PM

That looks really neat. Do let me know when the scriptable version is available so I can add a link to it on my users' list. :)

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

#13 Oscar1   Members   -  Reputation: 115

0Likes

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:07 PM

The script works like a charm in the development version (plugged it all today). I started from your texture generator demo, creating similar image class, not realizing the library changed a bit from there... but I got my bearings very quickly.

One thing I would like to have more explained is the typing convention with the reference sign @.

say you have

void function(image @img)
{...}

image@ img = @image(200,200);

function(@img);

is this @ on the function(@img) just for convention? Because it works as function(img) as well.

Same with the 
image@ img = @image(200,200);
omitting the @ from the front of image(200,200) works as well and seems to not do anything different, but is there any difference or it is all for convention?

angelscript.jpg

#14 Andreas Jonsson   Moderators   -  Reputation: 3445

0Likes

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:00 AM

In most cases the compiler will be able to implicitly add the @, as it knows that what is expected is the address or handle of the object rather than the value. You'll need to be careful with the @ for the left hand value in assignments. Without the @ symbol you're doing a value assignment and with the @ symbol you're doing a handle assignment.

#15 Oscar1   Members   -  Reputation: 115

0Likes

Posted 09 May 2013 - 04:07 PM

Thanks, I do understand the left hand requirement, I just got surprised by the @ on right side of assignment. Anyway, it is logical.

#16 Jason Goepel   Members   -  Reputation: 442

2Likes

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:09 AM

I am a chemical engineer working for Eastman Chemical Company.  We develop a software tool which we use for chemical process control and simulation.  Our software allows users to write scripts to support their simulations and enable custom models or calculations.  We were using Microsoft's scripting engine (VBScript and JScript), but we never liked the language and were not impressed with the effort required to expose our object model through the script.

Microsoft appeared to have some bugs in the latest version of their scripting engine, which ships with Internet Explorer.  We didn't have control over the distribution of the scripting engine and were having too much trouble making our application work between versions.  We started looking for a replacement, and it was looking like we were going to implement Google's V8 engine or Mozilla's SpiderMonkey.... until we stumbled upon AngelScript.

AngelScript has almost everything we need, and the source is very readable.  Thanks Andreas!

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS