• Create Account

C++ book?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
8 replies to this topic

#1 noatom   Members   -  Reputation: 767

0Likes

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:41 PM

Can anyone recommend me a book that goes through everything?(from pointers to templates,aggregation etc.?

I don't need a total beginner book,but something to...reevaluate.

Sponsor:

#2 ChaosEngine   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2131

0Likes

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:00 PM

Accelerated C++ is a good starting point... it covers the basics without being too beginner focused (although I don't believe it covers C++ 11)

if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight

#3 DevLiquidKnight   Members   -  Reputation: 834

3Likes

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:24 PM

I like C++ Primer Plus, if you dont mind waiting get this: The C++ Programming Language seeing as its written by the maker of C++ its pretty much guaranteed to cover all the things you could ever need.

#4 Bubsy   Members   -  Reputation: 407

1Likes

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:45 PM

I guess it's a little old, but it's free as in beer ;) http://www.mindview.net/Books/TICPP/ThinkingInCPP2e.html 

#5 Jason Z   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4667

2Likes

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:53 PM

I like C++ Primer Plus

I learned on this one, which can be a little slow in the first couple chapters, but does a decent job of teaching you at least the basics of most of the language.  I'm not sure if there is a new version that covers C++ 11, but for all the other stuff it seems quite good to me.

#6 Yourself   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1037

1Likes

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:05 AM

I also learned using C++ Primer Plus (5th edition in my case)

The C++ standard library (2nd edition) is a fantastic book to learn (or reference) STL (incl C++11) but assumes a basic understanding of C++.

the C++ in depth serie is also recommended (though deffinitely not for beginners).

#7 LordRhys   Members   -  Reputation: 342

2Likes

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:34 AM

C++ Primer Plus (6th edition) covers C++ 11, it is very dry in the first couple of chapters as it's designed for beginner's thru intermediate, I also have Beginning C++ through Game Programming, 3rd ed.

#8 noatom   Members   -  Reputation: 767

0Likes

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:05 PM

Many of you don't understand that I wanted a book to review c++,not to learn it.I code/read code every day.

Anyway,I chose Accelerated C++,mostly because it's compact and well explained,after that,I'll go more advanced.

Thanks

#9 warnexus   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 1379

1Likes

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:10 PM

C++ Without Fear by Brian Overland

It covers a variety of stuff like pointers, memory, and the OOP concepts. I highly recommend it!

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS