• Create Account

PC gaming: what kind of controller do you use?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
34 replies to this topic

Poll: PC gaming: what kind of controller do you use? (64 member(s) have cast votes)

What's your preferred controller for a PC game?

1. Classic Keyboard & Mouse combo! (49 votes [76.56%])

Percentage of vote: 76.56%

2. An XBOX 360 or PS3 controller, or some equivalent with the exact same layout (10 votes [15.62%])

Percentage of vote: 15.62%

3. Other (please specify below). (5 votes [7.81%])

Percentage of vote: 7.81%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 AniMerrill   Members   -  Reputation: 203

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:34 PM

Hey, I'm in the process of designing a game for PC (which we might later move to consoles if it does well) and I ran into an interesting problem. I have no idea what PC game pads are like these days, and I only have a GameStop XBOX controller because at one point I was working with XNA and needed a testing controller.

I'm really passionate about making our game controller-compatible, since I personally believe gaming feels best (probably just my nostalgia boner) when played on a real, bonafide game pad. PLEASE NOTE: a keyboard layout will be the default, I'm not stupid. Every computer USUALLY has a keyboard, so that way it will definitely be playable by everyone. But just for people who feel the same way I do, or in the event that local multiplayer is included, I wanna make sure I have the most popular game pads in mind when designing a control scheme.

Any input would be appreciated, and if you DO happen to have a controller in the "Other" category, if you could link a pic or amazon listing for it that'd be awesome.

Thanks again~

AniMerrill, a.k.a. Ethan Merrill

Sponsor:

#2 Hodgman   Moderators   -  Reputation: 30385

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:46 PM

Both :P

I use a keyboard/mouse for almost all games, but use a 360 game-pad for the few that are better on it (anything where absolute-inputs from a joystick is better than digital keys or relative-mouse inputs, like a car or plane).

In battlefield I actually switch between them while playing -- KB/Mouse for soldiers/tanks/helicopters, and the game-pad for jets.

I also have a steering wheel for serious racing games.

#3 sunandshadow   Moderators   -  Reputation: 4917

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:00 PM

I personally have a PS2-style controller (Logitech brand).  You might want to look into how emulators handle a range of gamepads because those being non-commercial community projects the information should be publicly available.

Phone game idea available free to someone who will develop it (Alphadoku game - the only existing phone game of this type is both for windows phone only and awful. PM for details.)

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

#4 swiftcoder   Senior Moderators   -  Reputation: 9994

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:06 PM

Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick. You gotta have a joystick for the real space sim experience.

Unfortunately, not too many space sims around these days, so I stick with the cheap-and-cheerful joystick.

(I also have a PC-receiver for my XBox controllers, but I've never actually used one connected to the PC)

Edited by swiftcoder, 25 February 2013 - 09:07 PM.

Tristam MacDonald - Software Engineer @Amazon - [swiftcoding]

#5 AniMerrill   Members   -  Reputation: 203

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:09 PM

I personally have a PS2-style controller (Logitech brand).  You might want to look into how emulators handle a range of gamepads because those being non-commercial community projects the information should be publicly available.

The reason I want to find this out is less about how to do it for certain controller brands, since almost every gamepad reports the same information (from what I've seen anyway) but how to design the control scheme within the game to be as compatible as possible from the get go. However I will definitely take a look at that, seems like it'd be an interesting read.

#6 AniMerrill   Members   -  Reputation: 203

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:11 PM

Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick. You gotta have a joystick for the real space sim experience.

Unfortunately, not too many space sims around these days, so I stick with the cheap-and-cheerful joystick.

(I also have a PC-receiver for my XBox controllers, but I've never actually used one connected to the PC)

I miss those style of Joysticks XD My guess is probably won't be attracting the space sim aficionados with this game genre, but remind me: when using a joystick like that, its a combination of the joystick and some keyboard inputs right? 

#7 Promit   Moderators   -  Reputation: 7190

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:44 PM

I'll do keyboard and mouse for most, but I use an Xbox controller frequently too. There's some games, notably racing, that are trash with keyboard/mouse.

#8 JTippetts   Moderators   -  Reputation: 8492

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:54 PM

If I can't play it with kb+mouse, I'm not interested in it. But then, I don't play console games either.

#9 Prinz Eugn   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3621

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:07 PM

I play with a mouse and this guy: http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-F8GFPC100-Nostromo-Speedpad-n52/dp/B0000DC643

I generally play FPS and RTS on PC, which aren't exactly controller friendly... I do however play copius amounts of Halo on my 360. I still don't understand why console control schemes tend to be so inflexible. Is it really that hard to be able to swap a single function between A and B and not have 3 others changed at the same time?

-Mark the Artist

Digital Art and Technical Design
Developer Journal

#10 AniMerrill   Members   -  Reputation: 203

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:13 PM

I play with a mouse and this guy: http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-F8GFPC100-Nostromo-Speedpad-n52/dp/B0000DC643

I generally play FPS and RTS on PC, which aren't exactly controller friendly... I do however play copius amounts of Halo on my 360. I still don't understand why console control schemes tend to be so inflexible. Is it really that hard to be able to swap a single function between A and B and not have 3 others changed at the same time?

I guess that's actually one of the things I would like to nip in the bud from the start, I want a really easy to use Input Manager that just lets you not only switch from keyboard to gamepad, but lets you relatively painlessly switch up the control schemes for that device. That's why I wanted to see what the major gamepad brands and styles are, so I could compensate for those early on in development.

#11 SimonForsman   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6110

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:42 AM

Keyboard and mouse for most games, and a joystick for anything that involves flying, i don't really play any games that would work better with a gamepad. (For driving i'd prefer a proper steering wheel and pedals over a gamepad anyway so i'll buy one of those if i ever start playing such games)

I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

#12 shuma-gorath   Members   -  Reputation: 887

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:50 AM

For me, it's the Logitech F710 that gets the job done.  Since I actually prefer the DualShock layout, this gamepad is a great balance between that and the XBox 360 controller's layout. It's compatible with DInput and XInput.

I'm somebody who's moved from consoles into PC gaming.  (I still play both, mind you.)

#13 Rakilonn   Members   -  Reputation: 421

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:47 PM

Classic Keyboard & Mouse combo, always !

There is just the bad port of Dark Souls where I may use a gamepad.

#14 ChaosEngine   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2357

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:25 PM

Both

I use a keyboard/mouse for almost all games, but use a 360 game-pad for the few that are better on it (anything where absolute-inputs from a joystick is better than digital keys or relative-mouse inputs, like a car or plane).

In battlefield I actually switch between them while playing -- KB/Mouse for soldiers/tanks/helicopters, and the game-pad for jets.

Same. For example, when playing GTA (or Sleeping Dogs) I'll use an xbox controller for driving, running, but switch to kbm for shooting.

I will never use a controller for an FPS.

if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight

#15 LennyLen   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3782

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:19 AM

Most of the time I use keyboard/mouse, but I do have a USB N64 controller as well.

#16 Sik_the_hedgehog   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1747

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:54 AM

The reason I want to find this out is less about how to do it for certain controller brands, since almost every gamepad reports the same information (from what I've seen anyway) but how to design the control scheme within the game to be as compatible as possible from the get go.

Good luck. One thing I noticed about PlayStation-like controllers (quite common on PC) is that the arrangement of the face buttons (the rhombus) is completely arbitrary, seems to change depending on the controller. The best you can do is map actions from buttons 0 to 3 and then hope the player remembers to enter the controls menu to remap the buttons :/

Don't pay much attention to "the hedgehog" in my nick, it's just because "Sik" was already taken =/ By the way, Sik is pronounced like seek, not like sick.

#17 AniMerrill   Members   -  Reputation: 203

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:45 AM

Good luck. One thing I noticed about PlayStation-like controllers (quite common on PC) is that the arrangement of the face buttons (the rhombus) is completely arbitrary, seems to change depending on the controller. The best you can do is map actions from buttons 0 to 3 and then hope the player remembers to enter the controls menu to remap the buttons :/

I guess mostly I was hoping to see if, despite the Xbox controller I had, if the most common PC controllers being used had like... only eight total buttons and triggers that could be accessed as opposed to my 12ish. Or if joysticks weren't necessarily universal on gamepads. In retrospect this didn't make much sense since one could imagine gamepad manufacturers would be most successful if they could replicate console varieties of gamepads.

So that may sound stupid, but I was only interested in the amount of buttons.

I'll probably have it default mapped to my Xbox controller, or otherwise make it so every time a joystick is plugged in it asks for the player to either enter all the inputs for each action (like "Waggle the joystick for walking..." "Press the button for jump...") and have it save the profile, that way the next time it loads up they can just load up the joystick profile for that device.

To be completely honest, all the times I've tried to use JoyToKey, I still can't figure out the damn button layout for my own controller.

#18 Karsten_   Members   -  Reputation: 1603

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:08 PM

I pretty much entirely use the Keyboard and mouse unless I am playing on megadrive or ps1 emulators. I use the Xbox360 controller on FreeBSD because it is pretty much the only common one that works ;)

Whilst I am at it, would anyone be interested in the following idea being implemented? Basically a virtual input device for iOS or Android that connects to a PC (via tcp or udp) and then allows the player to use the (often superior) controller plugged into the PC on their tablet.
I am in two minds whether it is worth the effort if it would only be useful for a few people.

Mutiny - Open-source C++ Unity re-implementation.
Defile of Eden 2 - FreeBSD and OpenBSD binaries of our latest game.

#19 L. Spiro   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 13595

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:04 PM

I can’t vote because what we use are not mutually exclusive of each other.

I use the best tool for the job, period.

For FPS games that means mouse-and-keyboard.

For ZSNES I use this: snes-gamepad-buffalo-usb,I-R-240435-13.j

I have 2 so that my friend(s) can play too.

I also have a PC Xbox 360 controller but it sees little action since I don’t play any games where that would be the best choice.

Your concern should be more on the ability to set the keys/configure things.

I bought Resident Evil 6 for PlayStation 3 5 months ago (or so).  It doesn’t allow changing the keys, thus I cannot invert the Y axis, thus I played it for a total of 10 minutes and never touched it again.

If you can configure the keys, you have solved all potential problems.  Simple.  Doesn’t matter whether people use mouse/keyboard or a controller.

L. Spiro

PS: Something feels different about you today, Hodgman.  Did you change your hair style or something?  Is that a new cologne?

Edited by L. Spiro, 27 February 2013 - 06:05 PM.

It is amazing how often people try to be unique, and yet they are always trying to make others be like them. - L. Spiro 2011
I spent most of my life learning the courage it takes to go out and get what I want. Now that I have it, I am not sure exactly what it is that I want. - L. Spiro 2013
I went to my local Subway once to find some guy yelling at the staff. When someone finally came to take my order and asked, “May I help you?”, I replied, “Yeah, I’ll have one asshole to go.”
L. Spiro Engine: http://lspiroengine.com
L. Spiro Engine Forums: http://lspiroengine.com/forums

#20 AniMerrill   Members   -  Reputation: 203

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:54 PM

Whilst I am at it, would anyone be interested in the following idea being implemented? Basically a virtual input device for iOS or Android that connects to a PC (via tcp or udp) and then allows the player to use the (often superior) controller plugged into the PC on their tablet.
I am in two minds whether it is worth the effort if it would only be useful for a few people.

I saw this implemented once, while working with Unity. One of the addons someone had was for basically that exact idea. You just install the input manager into your game, and then people could get (for free on Android, idk on iOS) an app that would connect your computer and the phone over a wireless connection. It was pretty cool. You would basically design the layout within the input manager for the game, and it would send the layout to the phone, and then it would send touch data back to the game and treat it like gamepad input. I think it even had gyroscope implementation, and they showed that off for a tilting game and a racing game demo.

It did suck, though, because Unity has very limited options in the free version, especially concerning custom input (which is why I ultimately turned away from it). But I actually considered doing this for my game or trying to start like an open source solution to this for people working outside Unity because, if done right, you could just have people download a custom controller for your game. It might be more of a novelty than anything, but imagine showing a game off at a con that way.

I can’t vote because what we use are not mutually exclusive of each other.

I use the best tool for the job, period.

Your concern should be more on the ability to set the keys/configure things.

I bought Resident Evil 6 for PlayStation 3 5 months ago (or so).  It doesn’t allow changing the keys, thus I cannot invert the Y axis, thus I played it for a total of 10 minutes and never touched it again.

If you can configure the keys, you have solved all potential problems.  Simple.  Doesn’t matter whether people use mouse/keyboard or a controller.

I mostly wanted to see what people were more likely to own more than anything so I could have an idea of the minimum amount of buttons a person would have on their gamepad, or if they even had one. That way I don't have a large portion of my audience who have, say, that USB SNES controller which doesn't even have analog sticks and only has a total of 8 buttons while I planned for an amount of controls that could only possibly be used on an XBOX/PS3 controller. But, since it seems like most modern gamepads DO have that many buttons, I can be a little more liberal with stuff like that. But I plan for there to definitely be fully customizable layouts so your Y-axis problem won't happen here.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS