• Create Account

Today marks one year since I started programming

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
7 replies to this topic

#1 ISDCaptain01   Members   -  Reputation: 1395

9Likes

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:37 AM

So on this day, last year I picked up my c++ book and got started programming, I can definately say its been challeging. I barely knew anything about the stuff. I worked myself through the basics and some of the more advance stuff like operator overloading and pointer manipulation went over my head the first 4 months or so. By the end of August, I got a basic grasp of the language. Then in september I decided to get familar with visual c++ 2010. I learned how to make header, implementation and source files, and got a basic control on the IDE. I also made a pong clone following a tutorial. By mid-October I was like "okay I want to learn about data structures, cause I feel im missing out since the CS majors were taking it". I get a copy of Data Structures for Game Programmers and work my way through it. I learned about basic algorithm analysis, templates and all the various data structures. Since the book was using SDL, I decided to pause and get a basic idea of SDL. That took me 2 weeks. Then I continued through the book, learning the data structures (and cool stuff like the branch prediction unit). Now Im 60% done with the book. I plan to start Allegro within the next copule of months and max out all my skills in it. I want to make tons of shareware quality games for atleast a year. Then I might hit 3D programming

All I can say its amazing how much Ive learned. Its been amazingly fun and interesting endeavor. The most imporatant thing that helped was self-discipline. I was able to sit down everyday for atleast an hour and learn. And thats what im going to continue doing.

Sponsor:

#2 MrDaaark   Members   -  Reputation: 3555

0Likes

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:40 AM

Congrats. Keep it up!

Although I wouldn't bother with Allegro if you learned SDL. Allegro is just another library that does the same things as SDL (graphics, sounds, inputs, etc..). You won't learn anything new.

#3 ISDCaptain01   Members   -  Reputation: 1395

0Likes

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:17 AM

I only learned very basic SDL. Enough for the book. That's why im gonna go fresh with Allegro. Got a huge 900 page book for it as well

#4 Nercury   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 766

0Likes

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:39 AM

Good job, I envy your determination :)

#5 Alex_kir   Members   -  Reputation: 278

0Likes

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:58 AM

I really like SDL as a library so I am really interested in the name of the book you used for data structures, thanks in advance and gz on your 1 year of programming ^^

#6 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 19568

1Likes

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:13 AM

Happy birthday! happy.png

Might I also recommend looking into SFML

It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.
All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.
Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal

[Fly with me on Twitter] [Google+] [My broken website]

[Need web hosting? I personally like A Small Orange]

#7 KnolanCross   Members   -  Reputation: 1293

0Likes

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:40 AM

Congrats, have you considered doing some programming challenges? It was incredibly important to me as I learned about algorithm complexity.

Here is the site i used: http://uva.onlinejudge.org/

Hope it helps.

Currently working on a scene editor for ORX (http://orx-project.org), using kivy (http://kivy.org).

#8 ISDCaptain01   Members   -  Reputation: 1395

0Likes

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:04 PM

Thanks everyone. I love this community since you guys have helped me out on the questions/problems ive had (even the stupid ones lol).

My main goal is to become an indie game/graphics programmer in the next several years.

Edited by ISDCaptain01, 26 February 2013 - 02:09 PM.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS