• Create Account

Finding or making an engine?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 Roziel   Members   -  Reputation: 107

0Likes

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:21 PM

So I got bit by a bug of an idea for a game I hopefully want to make for an eventual portfolio or to sell open market. Unfortunetly I have to admit that I am pretty much starting from scratch on the programming side. I am switching gears from medical to computers and am back in college to get a degree, but that is still 4 years from now.

My eventual game will be a sprite based 2d action adventure the same type as classic zelda games such as "link to the past". However I plan to add a much more freeform world sandbox playstyle in the vein of Skyrim and other sandbox rpg games. I also plan to add things like crafting and enchanting. Basically a bunch of stuff I haven't seen any isometric 2d sprite or 3d model game do.

So my question is, is there a good action adventure engines out there that can handle a lot of custom modding or would it be easier to just plan to eventually build my own engine?

Sponsor:

#2 Steve_Segreto   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1485

0Likes

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:20 PM

What about this 2-d engine?

https://love2d.org/

#3 Roziel   Members   -  Reputation: 107

0Likes

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:13 PM

Thanks. This should be a good place to start! :)

#4 TheSasquatch   Members   -  Reputation: 452

1Likes

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:03 PM

So my question is, is there a good action adventure engines out there that can handle a lot of custom modding or would it be easier to just plan to eventually build my own engine?

There's one called Torque 2D that recently went open source, I hear. Used to cost money. Comes with the box2D physics engine built in. Haven't checked it out myself, but I've seen a lot of people recommend it.

And no, it's never easier to build your own. It takes a looooong time. I've been working on mine for months (for a game similar to the one you want to build, except it's a sidescroller--think Castlevania/Super Metroid, but with heavy RPG elements). That's not to say there's no benefit in doing it yourself--you'll learn a lot more, you'll be sure it does exactly what you need it to without a bunch of unused/unwanted features, and it's fun, too.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS