• Create Account

Text to speech

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 Hawkblood   Members   -  Reputation: 658

0Likes

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:22 PM

I want to add text-to-speech to my game. I searched for some downloads (microsoft), but I haven't been able to find anything that works without making my game pause as it speaks. As you can imagine, this is a problem. Does anyone have a solution? Free is best......

Sponsor:

#2 frob   Moderators   -  Reputation: 16204

4Likes

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:17 PM

The Microsoft SAPI TTS engine can pause, but it doesn't need to.

Set the SPF_ASYNC flag to cause the functions work asynchronously.  (That means they run in the background and don't stall your app.)  You will need to properly handle the asynchronous events as they come through which usually isn't too hard to do.

Check out my personal indie blog at bryanwagstaff.com.

#3 Hawkblood   Members   -  Reputation: 658

0Likes

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:01 AM

YES! I'll try that when I get home. Thanks for the tip.

#4 Hawkblood   Members   -  Reputation: 658

0Likes

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:19 AM

That worked great. I'm now trying to change the voice from female to male. The only option I can get to work is changing the pitch (not enough to be "male sounding"). Anybody know how?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS